Good Evening from England!

jyard

Hi all,

After watching YouTube's for the past year about servicing watches I thought I would jump in and give it a go myself! I have terrible eyesight and shaky hands, so what could possibly go wrong!

I managed to pick up a fairly cheap Seiko 5606a movement to practice on, should be arriving in a couple of days. I should really have gone for a pocket watch, but I fancied a challenge.

Looking forward to being part of the community and learning more about this fascinating subject!

Welcome to the forums!

My hands are OK but you sorta rest them on the edge of your bench anyway. My eyes are another story. I had a stroke about 18 months ago that affected my left eye - such that I no longer have much depth perception. You'll need some sort of optical enhancement anyway and a single loupe of 4x seems to work for general work with a 10x loupe for inspection of jewels.

I often caution new folks that the 1 hour YouTube where somebody takes a 75 year-old Rolex that was found rusted in the mud and magically restores it to perfect time keeping and wonderfully shined and polished in a hour can set the wrong expectation... 🙂

Enjoy the learning and the challenge!

Thanks grsnovi!

Sorry to hear about the stroke. I have initially picked up a 10x loupe, so may have to look at a 4x as well.

The movement is fully working except for the date set, which is apparently a common issue with this movement. So, at least I know it should work when I get it back together! Whether I get it back together is another matter though...

Welcome to WRT forum and good luck with your forey into horology.

I had a close look at Seiko 5606a the other day, a decent grade movement I say. Pocket watch would have been more appropriate choice. 

Anyway good luck with your practice and enjoy.

Here is a walkthrow on 5606a, might come useful .