Question about Oilers

This may seem like a silly question but i'm new to the whole watch repair scene and I just finished Marks wonderful 3 part course.  One thing that wasn't mentioned when talking about oiling was the type or size of oiler to use.  I purchased a nice set of Horotec oilers and made myself a little stand for them but i'm not totally sure about what oiler to use with what oil.  Does it matter?  My guess would be to use the smallest size posible as to not over oil and ensure I get the right amount placed. I'm just curious if there is anything I need to be aware of or is it just pretty much go with experience as you learn?

oilers.jpg

The size of the oiler used defines the amount of oil being tranfered to the bearing. Small oilers for small bearings. It‘s better to take the smaller oiler at first to avoid overoiling.

Edited by Kalanag

5 hours ago, Doawah said:

This may seem like a silly question but i'm new to the whole watch repair scene and I just finished Marks wonderful 3 part course.  One thing that wasn't mentioned when talking about oiling was the type or size of oiler to use.  I purchased a nice set of Horotec oilers and made myself a little stand for them but i'm not totally sure about what oiler to use with what oil.  Does it matter?  My guess would be to use the smallest size posible as to not over oil and ensure I get the right amount placed. I'm just curious if there is anything I need to be aware of or is it just pretty much go with experience as you learn?

oilers.jpg

5 hours ago, Doawah said:

oilers.jpg

Yes fella, you will learn over time what size to use. The more I've learnt the smaller the oilers have become. With a small oiler your placement is more accurate and you can always add a touch more if needed, if you place too much with a bigger oiler then you will need to start mopping up and if quite particular then cleaning again. I'm more or less down to two. A really fine oiler for pivots etc then something a fraction bigger for grease for wristwatches. Pocket watches could step up a little bit, but you may still prefer the same. Dont be too pedantic about it though. You will decide for yourself what you feel comfortable with. Personally i flatten the end of a 0.3mm acupuncture needle and you can get smaller than this of around 0.18mm. You can dictate how much oil you pick up anyway. A quick dip will load it up , a slow dip will let it unload as you pull it out . ( dont blame me for the way that came out and dont read it out loud if you are in gentile company 😆 )