How do I make a vertical hairspring bend ?

Now I've got the stud glued on, I found that the hairspring near it is not flat, but bent upwards from a particular point. So it's not caused by a twist.

See pics (It's hard to photograph as the light wants to reflect exactly at that point !).

The question is, how do you make a vertical bend - as you would when making an overcoil, without having special tweezers? 

(I could live with it, but I'm getting 8s difference DU/DD)

_h1.thumb.jpg.6b322e80eace14394a7764f8ac3bd7c0.jpg

_h2.thumb.jpg.b4e0f8ba13971bda031b4db174012092.jpg

_h3.thumb.jpg.b626c89bab4cd2499b8ad0ffdb18af92.jpg

Hi Mike  As you probably know already to make overcoils needs specisl tweezers. But I did see an article on the Tube with Henry B Fried showing how to adjust bent springs. He made it look easy just using normal tweezers.  Naturaly enough I cant find the articl now.  I think De Carle also covered it in his book.  good luck.

One of the best and most easy methods is a strong, at the tip sharpened tweezers and soft wood. It also works with tweezers without that step, just grip the blade strong enough.

You will have more control on the result with slight hammer taps instead of just pushing.

Frank

bend_Jendritzki.JPG.9518544b5be3f49c1ed94144a5e2337d.JPG

(A typical drawing of great Jendritzki)

...and in an earlier copy of the same book I found a picture that directly adresses the issue of the bent blade:

245444282_IMG_28421.jpg.7dfd56ae32beee5414bee20e5051a2da.jpg

Edited by praezis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, praezis said:

One of the best and most easy methods is a strong, at the tip sharpened tweezers and soft wood. It also works with tweezers without that step, just grip the blade strong enough.

You will have more control on the result with slight hammer taps instead of just pushing.

Frank

Thanks Frank, that method works really well. Another useful technique to remember 😃

• Thanks 1