Ok . So not repair related and im not sure under what section to post this but it is related to watches. Maybe an outside of the box topic but I'm a curious bugger and always have been. The green previous owners dna mank that builds up around braclets and straps. Same stuff that makes copper wrist band wearers wrists to go green. Now i know it has nothing to do with gamma rays or Lou Farrigno so it must be some kind of brass copper reaction to the salts in our bodies. Any idea as to its chemical name and ingredients or if at all harmful to health, very old lume is green and potentially hazardous.  Ok going a bit too far there but   anyone 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok . So not repair related and im not sure under what section to post this but it is related to watches. Maybe an outside of the box topic but I'm a curious bugger and always have been. The green previous owners dna mank that builds up around braclets and straps. Same stuff that makes copper wrist band wearers wrists to go green. Now i know it has nothing to do with gamma rays or Lou Farrigno so it must be some kind of brass copper reaction to the salts in our bodies. Any idea as to its chemical name and ingredients or if at all harmful to health, very old lume is green and potentially hazardous.  Ok going a bit too far there but   anyone 🤷‍♂️

Verdigris or copper oxide.  Basically the oxidation of copper (corrosion). Moisture and salt speed up the reaction.  Body temperature will also speed up the reaction because as a rough rule for every 10⁰ rise in temperature a chemical reaction rate doubles.

3 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Verdigris or copper oxide.  Basically the oxidation of copper (corrosion). Moisture and salt speed up the reaction.  Body temperature will also speed up the reaction because as a rough rule for every 10⁰ rise in temperature a chemical reaction rate doubles.

Ok thanks Rich. Copper oxide and human dna. Do we have a use for it besides partial Hulk impersonations or has it any cash value on the black market as i have approximately 18 grams of it on my watch mat after cleaning a brass bracelet full of it. 

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok thanks Rich. Copper oxide and human dna. Do we have a use for it besides partial Hulk impersonations or has it any cash value on the black market as i have approximately 18 grams of it on my watch mat after cleaning a brass bracelet full of it. 

It can also be called patina.

15 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

It can also be called patina.

Ok Same as timber and lead patination. I sometimes use patination oil to seal lead to stop lead oxidation and staining. And timber patination is often extremely nice on furniture and clocks. I can see that then. Also patination on watch dials known as tropical dials relating to watch faces that have been sun bleached and moisture stained, whacks the watch price well above what a clean unblemished dial fetches.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok Same as timber and lead patination. I sometimes use patination oil to seal lead to stop lead oxidation and staining. And timber patination is often extremely nice on furniture and clocks. I can see that then. Also patination on watch dials known as tropical dials relating to watch faces that have been sun bleached and moisture stained, whacks the watch price well above what a clean unblemished dial fetches.

Try white vinegar or ketchup. 

25 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Try white vinegar or ketchup. 

Fish and chips condiments ? Rich. What fricking time do you call this ? I was awake anyway cant sleep. So my forum buddy I'm about to spook you out with a post now in the chat about anything which is why im fooking wide awake.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches