SW200-1 (ETA 2824-2) - Escape wheel pinion not touching jewel

Hey folks!

I am brand, brand new to this world and have started by disassembling and reassembling a SW200-1 following the tutorial from Mark.

The issue I'm facing on reassembly is this:

While installing the train wheel bridge (~7 min. in the video), I'm 99% sure it's sitting correctly. However, the escape wheel pinion on top is not touching the jewel above it. 

It sits fine on the other wheels, and when I apply a bit of pressure on top of the escape wheel jewel I'm able to spin the wheels just fine, but as soon as I release that pressure the bridge moves up a bit and dislodges the escape wheel. So now, when I spin the wheels, they all move except for the escape wheel. It usually spins a bit and then gets thrown out of its bottom jewel.

Could it just as simple as the bridge is not sitting 100% correctly on the pinions and therefore is not low enough to touch the escape wheel pinion?

I've been at this for literally 3-4 hours to no avail.

As far as I can tell the escape wheel itself is in perfect condition.

Let me know if any pictures are needed.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
John

3 minutes ago, Plato said:

Is the mainspring barrel properly closed? It should snap shut. It might also be easier to figure things out with a technical guide.

SW200_1_fr_de_en.pdf 1.96 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for getting back!

Yes, I've confirmed that the mainspring barrel is fully closed. (I didn't actually open it.)

Thanks for the guide. I'll check it out!

Thanks again,

John

1 hour ago, Doherty192 said:

…Could it just as simple as the bridge is not sitting 100% correctly on the pinions and therefore is not low enough to touch the escape wheel pinion?…

The answer is yes! The escape wheel is not causing this problem. There is another pivot which is not in its upper or lower jewel hole (provided each wheel has the right position in the train). You should find it!

The most important success factor for a beginner is the ability to exactly see what’s going on and what he is doing. You need a good loupe (around x10) or - much better - a stereo microscope. As watchmaker Kalle says: You cann‘t repair what you cann‘t see! 

Edited by Kalanag

3 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

The answer is yes! The escape wheel is not causing this problem. There is another pivot which is not in its upper or lower jewel hole. You should find it!

The most important success factor for a beginner is the ability to exactly see what’s going on and what he is doing. You need a good loupe (around x10) or - much better - a stereo microscope. As watchmaker Kalle says: You cann‘t repair what you cann‘t see! 

Thanks for the info!

This is actually exactly what I wanted to hear. Haha. 

Was really hoping something wasn't damaged.

I'll keep at it and try adjusting it some more until it works.

And yes! The microscope is ideal, just want to make sure I'm actually going to stick with this hobby before investing in it. Haha.

Thanks again!!
John

Don‘t put yourself under time pressure. This movement is small for a beginner. Sleep one night before you continue. Otherwise you will most likely damage something (don’t ask me how i know…).😉

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Don‘t put yourself under time pressure. This movement is small for a beginner. Sleep one night before you continue. Otherwise you will most likely damage something (don’t ask me how i know…).😉

OK, so after closer inspection... I think I was wrong when I said the escape wheel wasn't damaged.

Comparing mine to other images, I'm guessing the top post broke off? It seems like it should be longer to reach the jewel.

Am I right?

IMG_4821.JPG

36 minutes ago, Doherty192 said:

OK, so after closer inspection... I think I was wrong when I said the escape wheel wasn't damaged.

Comparing mine to other images, I'm guessing the top post broke off? It seems like it should be longer to reach the jewel.

Am I right?

IMG_4821.JPG

Yes matey you are correct, it looks like you are down to the cone of the pivot unfortunately 😥. These small pins at each end of the train wheels  are known as pivots. Some pivots are repairable by someone with good knowledge and skill but ive not heard of an escape wheel pivot being repaired. You will need to replace this to carry on. Sorry for the bad news.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Yes matey you are correct, it looks like you are down to the cone of the pivot unfortunately 😥. These small pins at each end of the train wheels  are known as pivots. Some pivots are repairable by someone with good knowledge and skill but ive not heard of an escape wheel pivot being repaired. You will need to replace this to carry on. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks so much!

No worries... this is how we learn. Haha!

Looks cheap to order a new one OEM, so I'll do that, and learn from my mistake.

I likely pressed too hard. I think I even tightened the screws down once when I probably shouldn't have. 🙈

Anyway, I appreciate the help and look forward to growing with this community!

Thanks again!
John

Edited by Doherty192

1 hour ago, Doherty192 said:

Thanks so much!

No worries... this is how we learn. Haha!

Looks cheap to order a new one OEM, so I'll do that, and learn from my mistake.

I likely pressed too hard. I think I even tightened the screws down once when I probably shouldn't have. 🙈

Anyway, I appreciate the help and look forward to growing with this community!

Thanks again!
John

No problem John we've all been there, learning by our mistakes helps us remember how NOT to do things, one of my first experiences taught me how NOT to remove a crown wheel screw. Before you start to tighten down bridge screws gently spin the train wheels this can help identify any roaming rogue pivots and occasionally will place them if you are lucky that day.Use a thin rolled up piece of rodico to do this if you are worried. I've taken to using rodico as a probe for train and escape test more frequently, it can have just enough strength to move parts but will give if any resistance is present. Good for bending into different shapes and ideal for checking power at the escapement side.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Thanks 1