Opening Mauthe watch - problems

Hi all - I have this Mauthe wristwatch, given to my grandfather from VW for owning his beetle for 100,000km. It runs.

I am attempting to open the back but am unable to. From the little I can find online, with Mauthe more focused on clocks than watches, I think this is a screw on back. Perhaps due to being so well worn, it almost looks like the case has been forming into the back, or otherwise wearing. Please see photos. Apologies I do not have any macro capabilities.

Thank you

072107D4-1D95-4779-9016-864732EC7918.jpeg

DEE4A12F-755A-424D-8DCF-B8BD42AD9A6C.jpeg

56F282F7-4F14-4A3A-A62E-0D18B940FFD6.jpeg

C94273DA-9190-438D-8DE8-2C32AE107C9D.jpeg

2FF977FD-DA8E-4429-B063-B91CEC99FFE3.jpeg

DB08C4E8-E75B-421B-B776-831C10F6118B.jpeg

F3A41168-675A-4C87-AF4C-63737C4C3866.jpeg

Looks like someone has been trying to get in with a crowbar !

It looks like there's two cut-outs for using a case back tool where I've highlighted.

But it would be odd with only two on what looks like a brass bezel holding a steel back.

Strange

image.png.7566b197cc9b8db3db63bfe53e39c56c.png

• Thanks 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I was wondering whether anyone could assist with some questions I have about my latest acquisition, which is a two train ‘Bravingtons Renown’ mantel clock - Pics attached I have done some reading about Bravingtons and believe they sourced movements from various suppliers, so I wondered whether anyone recognises this one. I have stripped and cleaned the movement and the clock is now running well, but there are a couple of dodgy brass springs that I would like to replace. I haven’t found anything suitable searching the internet so I wondered does anyone know of a supplier that might help. Last question is about the veneer on the case, it is generally in reasonable condition but there are a couple of patches on the top where the veneer has lifted. So far, I have tried to reactivate the existing adhesive by heating from below and above with a hair drier, then clamping for a day or two. It has improved slightly but the bulge is still visible. I’d be grateful for any advice if anyone has dealt with this sort of repair before.
    • Hi some pictures o& the movement and case would be appreciated so we can ascertain what the problem is you are having in fitting the movement.   Thank you.
    • Thank you very much,T. I'll try turning the arbour from the clock face end very carefully in case I haven't reassembled the suspension block correctly (I had to make up a suspension spring using remnants of a broken one as I haven't been able to find an exact replacement online).
    • Hi murks a picture of the front as well would help,   By the size of the plate it was stuck to I would suggest a coin cell,  2030,  2015 all depends on the height of the cell. And the space when the back is fitted.         3 volt. 
    • We seem to have gone a bit quiet on this ?  Do we all agree to ask Mark for some input on this matter, or is no-one really bothered.