Cartier Santos medium issue

The first thing I would do is contact Ebay, and ask them for advice. You don't need to raise a complaint to begin with. There is a call-back service. I don't think they will be impressed by the seller trying to pass on the blame.

AFAIK the 30 days return window applies to OK goods, not defects. You have statutory rights in this case, but you need expert advice to understand those in your country. Do you have a local Citizens Advice or Consumer Protection?

If the seller agrees that you can send the watch to Cartier for repair at their expense, that would be  ideal. If Cartier does the work under manufacturer's warranty, that would of course also be fine, but I think it is unlikely.

Edited by Klassiker
No change.

4 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

The first thing I would do is contact Ebay, and ask them for advice. You don't need to raise a complaint to begin with. There is a call-back service. I don't think they will be impressed by the seller trying to pass on the blame.

AFAIK the 30 days return window applies to OK goods, not defects. You have statutory rights in this case, but you need expert advice to understand those in your country. Do you have a local Citizens Advice or Consumer Protection?

If the seller agrees that you can send the watch to Cartier for repair at their expense, that would be  ideal. If Cartier does the work under manufacturer's warranty, that would of course also be fine, but I think it is unlikely.

Why wouldn't they do it under warranty? It's a mechanical defect. 

4 minutes ago, Carter123 said:

Why wouldn't they do it under warranty? It's a mechanical defect

You mean Cartier? Because you are not the original purchaser, so you don't have a contract with them. Your contract is wuth the ebay seller. Also, the watch is more than 12 months old and has been through several pairs of hands, so there may be an issue with burden of proof. But warranty rules and regulations are complicated, and vary from country to country, so that's why you need local expert advice.

Ideally, the seller, this jewellery shop, should take the watch back from you, get it repaired by whoever caused the fault (Cartier, or even Ebay if the really believe that), then supply you with the defect-free watch that they sold you in a reasonalbe time-frame.

Just now, Klassiker said:

You mean Cartier? Because you are not the original purchaser, so you don't have a contract with them. Your contract is wuth the ebay seller. Also, the watch is more than 12 months old and has been through several pairs of hands, so there may be an issue with burden of proof. But warranty rules and regulations are complicated, and vary from country to country, so that's why you need local expert advice.

Ideally, the seller, this jewellery shop, should take the watch back from you, get it repaired by whoever caused the fault (Cartier, or even Ebay if the really believe that), then supply you with the defect-free watch that they sold you in a reasonalbe time-frame.

The Cartier warranty transfers and it was also unregistered. So I could just register it and bring it in.

But I hear you re the shop. They're willing to take it back, but now I'm going to have to search long and hard for a similar deal. If I knew cartier could fix it within 30 days, I'd give it a shot. The jewelry shop is going to have to do the same thing, so I don't understand why they won't just let me try to get it fixed and give me however much time it takes to get it back from Cartier. Saves them the hassle.

1 hour ago, Carter123 said:

The Cartier warranty transfers and it was also unregistered. So I could just register it and bring it in.

But I hear you re the shop. They're willing to take it back, but now I'm going to have to search long and hard for a similar deal. If I knew cartier could fix it within 30 days, I'd give it a shot. The jewelry shop is going to have to do the same thing, so I don't understand why they won't just let me try to get it fixed and give me however much time it takes to get it back from Cartier. Saves them the hassle.

Ebay authenticate ? Ive not heard of this before. Where is this done ? is this true?  You did say it was secondhand. 6000 grand your purchase price, 1300 saved. Thats around 17% depreciation.  A reasonable depreciation is 20 % on a sold new watch. The deal doesnt particularly sound that great especially seeing that the watch has problems. If only 18 months old why would it have been serviced. I would also be worried about who serviced it now. Imho i would be getting a full refund while i still could. Some of the information you've received from the seller just doesnt seem to add up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ebay authenticate ? Ive not heard of this before. Where is this done ? is this true?  You did say it was secondhand. 6000 grand your purchase price, 1300 saved. Thats around 17% depreciation.  A reasonable depreciation is 20 % on a sold new watch. The deal doesnt particularly sound that great especially seeing that the watch has problems. If only 18 months old why would it have been serviced. I would also be worried about who serviced it now. Imho i would be getting a full refund while i still could. Some of the information you've received from the seller just doesnt seem to add up. 

The jewelry store is a Cartier dealer and probably had it serviced because it was a watched that was sold back to them. Ebay has an authentication service on every luxury watch. A 3rd party verifies it's authentic. It's a very good price for the watch. Even secondhand it's hard to find one under $6300 before taxes. This isn't a watch that has lost a lot of value. In fact, Cartier has become very popular in the past year or so.

I guess my question is what's the downside for me if Cartier still covers this under warranty? I got a discounted watch and now they have to fix it, no matter how many tries it takes.

15 minutes ago, Carter123 said:

The jewelry store is a Cartier dealer and probably had it serviced because it was a watched that was sold back to them. Ebay has an authentication service on every luxury watch. A 3rd party verifies it's authentic. It's a very good price for the watch. Even secondhand it's hard to find one under $6300 before taxes. This isn't a watch that has lost a lot of value. In fact, Cartier has become very popular in the past year or so.

I guess my question is what's the downside for me if Cartier still covers this under warranty? I got a discounted watch and now they have to fix it, no matter how many tries it takes.

Okay thank you, i didnt know some that. My experiences have lead me to be a skeptical and suspicious person, basically i trust very few people. My views regarding watch sellers regardless of being ADs or not are the same car sellers regardless of being ADs or not. They mostly about money and dont always take responsibility. Its like a damaged car thats has been repaired, its never really the same again is it. How many times have you had something supposedly repaired only to have to take it back the following week, month or even year for that same issue. Only my view but i wouldnt want the hassle you now have and would be getting my money back while i had the chance. But thats me, i like an easy, straight forward, stress free life, if a problem comes along i deal with it there and then and get it out of the way and out of my head so i can carry on enjoying life. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Okay thank you, i didnt know some that. My experiences have lead me to be a skeptical and suspicious person, basically i trust very few people. My views regarding watch sellers regardless of being ADs or not are the same car sellers regardless of being ADs or not. They mostly about money and dont always take responsibility. Its like a damaged car thats has been repaired, its never really the same again is it. How many times have you had something supposedly repaired only to have to take it back the following week, month or even year for that same issue. Only my view but i wouldnt want the hassle you now have and would be getting my money back while i had the chance. But thats me, i like an easy, straight forward, stress free life, if a problem comes along i deal with it there and then and get it out of the way and out of my head so i can carry on enjoying life. 🙂

Totally agree, anything for a stress free life.  Get your money back, something doesn't add up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The only problem is I'd have to find another one at a discount, which won't happen at an AD. So I'll always be risking it having issues. What's funny is I probably wouldn't have even noticed that this santos had an issue if the power reserve hadn't run out. It was winding the crown and then resetting the time that made me catch the problem.

Out of curiosity, if I never fixed this issue and had to just shake the watch a bit when the crown happened to fall into the position where the movement doesn't start, is there any longterm risk to the watch? It seems like a pretty minor issue to screw in the crown and give it a light shake.

3 hours ago, Carter123 said:

…is there any longterm risk to the watch? It seems like a pretty minor issue to screw in the crown and give it a light shake…

I don‘t think that there is a major defect or risk. As recommended already you should find a person with a timegrapher and look at the traces. If those look flawless you might live with the issue for the next five years and then do the regular service.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Carter123 said:

what's the downside for me if Cartier still covers this under warranty?

None at all that I can see. If Cartier will honour the warranty, you don't need the seller. But check with them before you make a decision, and make sure they know all the facts so they can't back out later.

18 hours ago, Carter123 said:

The watch was a great deal and I saved almost $1300 by not buying it new, but it's a big risk to assume Cartier will repair it within 30 days. Does anyone know if the LA-based boutiques have in-house watchmaker to make immediate repairs

If you don't mind what you pay for this watch anyway?

I spoke to the jewelry store that sold me the Santos. They said that even though it was serviced, the issue was likely caused by Ebay's authentication service, which opens the case, exposing the watch to dust and debris. This seems a bit of a leap to me, but maybe. 

This actually sounded like a scam to me but if the link works looks like it's legit

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/selling-ebay-authenticate?id=4644&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337705410&customid=&toolid=10001#section1

As eBay is offering this service I would complain to them as what's the point of authenticating something if it's defective and doesn't work? I would contact them immediately and let them know that the watches defective and see what they have the say.

They told me I can either return the watch to them through ebay or bring it to Cartier and have it serviced. I don't have an issue bringing it to Cartier, but the problem is the jewelry store will only give me a 30 day return window. If the watch service takes more than 30 days and the problem persists, then I'm stuck with the watch. Considering the watch was recently serviced and still has this issue, I can't bank on Cartier fixing the problem the first time, especially when it's an SA communicating the issue rather than me explaining it to a watchmaker.

The watch was a great deal and I saved almost $1300 by not buying it new, but it's a big risk to assume Cartier will repair it within 30 days. Does anyone know if the LA-based boutiques have in-house watchmaker to make immediate repairs?

Personally I just send the watch back and get your money back this entire story sounds like a scam.

Usually when anyone sells you watch on eBay or anywhere else and gives you a 30 day window to return it they usually won't take it back if you play with their watcher item. In other words it will not be in the original condition in which they sold it and it already sounds like they are using excuses of its eBay's fault anyway if you take it anywhere I would suspect they probably will not give your money back. Because now they can say that you took that the sum non-legitimate something and they broke the watch

but if you do take it to Cartier They should build will enlighten you on to the fact that is this even a legitimate watch? Now I don't entirely trust the eBay service if they allow a defective watch to go through than it makes you wonder what else are they allowing to go through?

In any case if it is legit and you took it to Cartier  They should build get the watch serviced in it should run and then they would have a warranty. I doubt they're going to do a warranty repair as it's already a secondhand watch they're going to charge for servicing and it's not going to be cheap.

Then one of the problems with watches are there sealed units we can only guess what the problem is somebody asked open the watch up and evaluated and more than likely if you Take it in for servicing they will do a complete service because that's usually what they do and yes it's going to be expensive because this is an expensive watch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carter123 said:

There is little downside fof you as long as Cartier honors the guarantee apart from having to send it, and i honestly hope it would be just the once for you. But as i am, i would want some concrete statement of this in writing along with its remaining length of warranty long enough to make sure the issue doesnt reoccur. My worry would be the time running out to get a full refund while you are hopefully receiving some solid warranty cover. I do wish you the best of luck and hope it works out ok for you.

10 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

This actually sounded like a scam to me but if the link works looks like it's legit

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/selling-ebay-authenticate?id=4644&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337705410&customid=&toolid=10001#section1

As eBay is offering this service I would complain to them as what's the point of authenticating something if it's defective and doesn't work? I would contact them immediately and let them know that the watches defective and see what they have the say.

Personally I just send the watch back and get your money back this entire story sounds like a scam.

Usually when anyone sells you watch on eBay or anywhere else and gives you a 30 day window to return it they usually won't take it back if you play with their watcher item. In other words it will not be in the original condition in which they sold it and it already sounds like they are using excuses of its eBay's fault anyway if you take it anywhere I would suspect they probably will not give your money back. Because now they can say that you took that the sum non-legitimate something and they broke the watch

but if you do take it to Cartier They should build will enlighten you on to the fact that is this even a legitimate watch? Now I don't entirely trust the eBay service if they allow a defective watch to go through than it makes you wonder what else are they allowing to go through?

In any case if it is legit and you took it to Cartier  They should build get the watch serviced in it should run and then they would have a warranty. I doubt they're going to do a warranty repair as it's already a secondhand watch they're going to charge for servicing and it's not going to be cheap.

Then one of the problems with watches are there sealed units we can only guess what the problem is somebody asked open the watch up and evaluated and more than likely if you Take it in for servicing they will do a complete service because that's usually what they do and yes it's going to be expensive because this is an expensive watch

Very well put John as always.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

About $6k with taxes. 

All they do is verify authenticity, they aren't playing with the watch other than maybe to see it is running. I don't even think a Cartier watchmaker would notice the issue unless explained. Reason being is that pushing the crown in doesn't always result in the movement failing to start. Someone would have to play with the watch for a while to notice this. Cartier *should* service the watch. The warranty is transferable.  I don't know why they'd deny service on a watch unless it was clear that foul play was involved. The watch looks brand new. I'm sure the watch is real because when I went to register it, the serial number allowed me to do so. And the jewelry store is also a Cartier AD.

Bottom line is I have every reason it is authentic but has a defect. Your point is well taken though. I do believe if I pass 30 days, the original store will be hard pressed to take it back. And nothing says Cartier will fix the watch in only a few weeks. Or fix it the first time.

It is a bummer but maybe my best bet is to just buy a new one from the store, but that's essentially a $1300 depreciation out the door.

Edited by Carter123