Sentimental Repair, Croton Quartz Needs Caseback, Miyota 280-39 Day/Date Movement

Hello all, I have a Croton AquaMatic on the bench. This was my brother in law's wife's great grandfather's watch. (Say that five times fast) He wore it for some years. Looks like the caseback was lost at some point, probably to investigate why the movement stopped ticking. He may have worn it without the back or at least stuffed it in a drawer because it was very dirty within.

I cleaned everything up and tried a fresh battery but no luck. She really wants to wear it for sentimental occasions and I'm a watchmaker at heart: so I don't want to return it without getting it running first.

Since these photos I have cleaned the watch up quite nicely, but I need two parts: The movement assembly, which is a Miyota 280-39 with day and date complications, and the caseback with gasket. I found a few Miyota 280-39 variations with just the date, but I would dislike having a blank space where the day is supposed to go once it is put back together. Seems ungenuine.

I am trying to keep a reasonable budget. There is a chap who has one of these on eBay but wants a sum well more than I find reasonable at $130. Maybe someone else has input on that pricing? He started at $180 and slashed that through so I think he just doesn't know what it's worth. (The store sells mostly industrial electrical equipment.)

Any input on where to source parts like those? I tried the usual suspects like Esslinger, etc. but to no avail.

Thanks! Also for those who saw my intro post, I am becoming more proficient by the week. I have successfully serviced a mechanical movement that runs within spec afterwards! It's an immensely gratifying feeling. Thank you for your valuable feedback on this post.

IMG_9609.JPEG

IMG_9610.JPEG

IMG_9611.JPEG

Edited by Barsomn

Thanks all, looks like the 2105 is a modern replacement. Just need to confirm the size in lignes once I take this out of the box again this weekend...

CaliberCorner Info Page

Esslinger Movement Listing

The case back is another story, I can only think of transplanting from a donor watch but again I can't really find any of these. Is there a source of generic case backs that anyone has used for replacement parts?

The problem with watch cases they all come fitted with a back  loosing one is a pest there are no sources I know of just for backs. As you will appreciate there would be thousands of different ones .  Once you have the size of the dial and movement there are places for cases complete purcased complete or a trawl on the net, ebay and others for a donor non worker to rob the case off.

• Like 1