Hairspring stud

9 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Practicing on a scrap but running pocket watch movement.  The hairspring stud has come out of the balance cock.  After ten minutes struggling, I realised that I've no idea how to get it back in. 

20220522_125355.jpg

Rich. I cant see the balance wheel properly.  Can you do a side shot. The hs is a breguet. 

The easiest and safest way I have found is to re install the balance and balance bridge. Once installed just turn the Balance until then stud alignment is correct and nudge it back in with tweezers or pegwood & re tighten the stud screw. 

25 minutes ago, clockboy said:

The easiest and safest way I have found is to re install the balance and balance bridge. Once installed just turn the Balance until then stud alignment is correct and nudge it back in with tweezers or pegwood & re tighten the stud screw. 

Thanks, I'll give it a go. 

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What are you having difficulty with rich. Just getting the stud in the fixed arm hole ?

Yes. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. 

Yes. 

In what way Rich ?. Is the hole too tight for the stud ? Try it upside down mate. Stick the cock to a piece of rodico to stop it moving around. Ive been bad lol. Just spend a shed load of money on tools parts and watches haha.

52 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

In what way Rich ?. Is the hole too tight for the stud ? Try it upside down mate. Stick the cock to a piece of rodico to stop it moving around. Ive been bad lol. Just spend a shed load of money on tools parts and watches haha.

The hole is very tight. 

12 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

The hole is very tight. 

Ok. Have you looked at the stud Rich ? It should have a small v shaped groove running up its length, this has to face the screw in the stud arm  for the screw to fasten into. It the screw is slightly into the hole the stud wont slide in if the groove isnt facing the screw.

32 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

The hole is very tight. 

If the stud is definitely too big and the screw is well out of the way and you had the same problem getting it out. I think you will have to broach the hole. Not a big issue as its just holding the stud. Just be careful as always with broaching not to alter the angle of the hole and not to overshoot the size you need. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

First check that the screw is not blocking the stud and the hole is clear, lay the balance cock on its back and offer up the balance to the cock, move the stud into position over the hole and push in lightly then get a turn on the screw to stop itdropping out. Then lifit the balance and cock and fit into the watch.  Untill all other checks have been made do not broach the hole. Thats a last resort job. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, praezis said:

Looks like there is an undue bend (red arrow) and the distance stud - collet center is too small. Must be the same distance as the corresponding locations in the balance cock.

Frank

bend.thumb.jpg.e82565757631e6980f7acf4329fa2a3d.jpg

Managed to get it back in, the impulse roller is loose and just turning around.  Watch servicing, I'm getting good at, watch repair a whole different story.