FHF 96-4 movement, How do I remove these balance anti-shock springs ?

I have a Favre-Leuba with a FHF 96-4 movement, and a sort of anti-shock spring I've never seen before, and no obvious way of getting it out.

The spring is a solid ring with 3 tabs holding the jewel. So I can't see how it can come out the top 😧

0001.thumb.jpg.7e5cffb48aa78b0a5ab97643125aacda.jpg

This was a sad phase of watchmaking with lots of corners cut to get the price down on many lower end movements. All of the ones I've seen like this require the tabs to be bent up to access the jewels; so you can imagine after a couple of servicings things don't work too great anymore. I don't recall if there are extra ports underside to allow an increase of cleaning solution contact- sometimes they did this with "permanently" mounted cap jewels, but either way, if machine cleaning with modern solutions usually they come out clean enough without disassembly.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

This was a sad phase of watchmaking with lots of corners cut to get the price down on many lower end movements. All of the ones I've seen like this require the tabs to be bent up to access the jewels; so you can imagine after a couple of servicings things don't work too great anymore. I don't recall if there are extra ports underside to allow an increase of cleaning solution contact- sometimes they did this with "permanently" mounted cap jewels, but either way, if machine cleaning with modern solutions usually they come out clean enough without disassembly.

My initial thought was that it looks like the tabs should be bent up - but then I reasoned, surely not, they would break after a couple of services. I'll leave them in place and oil from the bottom.

(Another spring I'm going to leave in place next time - those small 2 pronged Diashock on Seikos !
Wrestling for ages with them yesterday 😥 )

85164DC6-F9EE-4FD8-AEE3-0B9671196882.thumb.jpeg.54ccffa2a62b0c8788bfe021281bc24b.jpegThis is a combined Incabloc bushing for the escape wheel in a highly priced JLC movement (889 an derivates, also used in AP an VC). No way to be disassembled for cleaning or oiling. You just have to rely on the cleaning fluid doing its job. 🤨

Here a pic of the bushing just oiled from behind by pushing with a 0,1mm copper wire. It‘s a bit to much oil but I didn‘t want to repeat the whole process.

6EE3FEC4-657E-4EAC-8168-50EEEAD28732.jpeg.442d52feed03a25b92fd38091117b839.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag

Caveat Emptor

I just realised that I bought a Frankenwatch. I almost never buy (ebay) without seeing the movement. But this was cheap and the watch looked good.

The dial says "Twin Power". I already have a Favre Leuba Sea King with Twin Power - Cal 253, a nice quality movement.

So I wasn't expecting to find a cheaper FHF 96-4 with the dial feet cut off, and the dial glued on !

So I probably won't bother to clean it after all - parts bin 😧

(I did a search on ebay and found other Favre Leubas with the same FHF movement!)

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.97ad43a490023e211ff4faad4f8ce8fe.jpg