removing back from helvetia

hey guys

Been trying to get into the movement on this now for a few days. Yes i am using the corerect tools. but with no luck it is solid no movement at all. I have just taken it out of a shallow bowl of oil.(just covering the back) that it has been in for 4 days and still not a thing. No movement.  Tried razor blades around the join and absolutely nothing.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dont wanna start using heat.

cheers

gary

IMG_20220517_195513.jpg

IMG_20220517_195513_1.jpg

IMG_20220517_195520.jpg

IMG_20220517_195539.jpg

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

The shape of the case makes it difficult to hold it firmly without damage. There you have to find a solution first!

I would put a temporary strap on it and then put the watch in a good solid watch vice like this. Not expesive. Just be careful to look out for the spring bars breaking out of the lugs or the bar holes becoming damaged if it is so tight. Or a hard timber insert to fit tight  between the lugs. If the lugs weren't  so thick and part of the cushion case i wouldnt have tried this.

1652854957312719093022203393981.jpg

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Newbie here too, but I’ve done a bit of reading around this subject. Looks like a Breguet overcoil. You’re right about A and B - A is just a minor tweak - but most damage is between B and the stud.    Pivots can be unbent, but there’s a high risk of breaking it off. Take care, and probably see how it runs before trying.    That’s really dirty. I’ve never found IPA to loosen Shellac. If you’re worried, put it in soapy water in the ultrasonic and then dip it in IPA as a quick rinse to displace the water and prevent rusting.    As for the stud - does it wedge in the angle and the screw holds it there?
    • No, it is browser dependent - your browser may have a spell checker you can switch on in settings. A quick search on Google may help you if you don't use Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/12027911?hl=en-GB
    • Good to know, I'll move that to the bottom of the list
    • What you can do is type it in say Microsoft Word use the spell check in that then cut and paste it here. 
    • Thank you for your reply, Curare.  You offer me hope ! Yes, my experience is that crystals with a tension ring require a very heavy screw down on the crystal lift - I’ve cracked a couple.  I think I’ll use a press to install the new crystal and keep my fingers and toes crossed that I don’t mash the underlying dial and movement. Waggy - there’s no bezel on this particular omega case and the movement loads from the front (there’s a spit stem), so the only option is to directly fit the crystal into the case with the movement in place.  And what happened to you could so easily happen to me!  I have woken in my sleep, heart racing,  seeing the fragments of smashed crystal gouging the dial and mangling the hands! I’m hoping someone who has worked on an Omega Dynamic might have some direct experience and will let me know how they managed the surgery. Thanks to all. Cheers, John   Oldhippy - thanks for your comment.  So, you’d just go ahead and place the crystal using a press, movement in situ, in the case?  OK - that’s what I’ll do.   Cheers, John