Budget pocket watch movements slow or stop when placed face up

As a newby to the hobby of watch repair, I tend to stick with cheap pocket watches from the 60s and 70s. A typical exampel of a movement I 'restored' is in the picture below.

The balance is basis with cone shaped pivotes seated in a steel female concave part that I clean and polish as much as possible. However it is nearly always the case that the balance is slow or stops when placed on a flat surface face up. I'm guessing this is becuase that is the position most are left in when they were in use in which case wear on the picots has made them blunt.

Does this sound a fair assessment of the cause as to why a movement such as these will slow and possibly stop? If so is there much that can be done to improve the balance without sourcing a new one?

IMG_1882.JPG

The balance on those types of movements should have good points and not worn rounded tips. Imagine a sharpened pencil that is how the tips of the balance should be. Some times the cups that hold the balance in place also get worn, I have seen them pitted through wear, they need to have the wear taken out I have used small countersink drills. For you to undertake these tasks you will need a watchmakers lathe. You might be able to buy old spares for these movements on ebay but I expect the balance staffs to be worn.    

Edited by oldhippy