A Sad Tale of Woe

LadyFi

I had a ladies skeleton watch on my Amazon wish list for several months.  My son bought it for me as an early Mother's day gift (I have a lovely son).  It was an import from Amazon US.  Well, the watch arrived on Saturday and it didn't match the pic on Amazon's website - close but was missing the scroll work both front and back as you can see from the link here and my pic.  I didn't notice this until disaster struck!  I'm currently rattling Amazon's cage about this as it's false advertising.  They said to return the watch for a full refund but, as you will see, I can't and in any case, scroll work or not, I like the watch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VT87RC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC_0003.thumb.JPG.c32a73c703e4076fd82c542a8599fa00.JPGDSC_0003.thumb.JPG.c32a73c703e4076fd82c542a8599fa00.JPG

I have an abnormally skinny wrist so knew we would have to take several links out of the bracelet.  The pinned ones were easy to remove but we had to open two links, one either side to get it to fit properly.  My son did this because I don't have the strength to do it.  When he was squeezing down the second link, the watch shot off the table and landed on the metal foot ot the table, breaking the crystal at the back.  Talk about s0ds law!  The crystal didn't desintigrate but is crazed.  I stuck a piece of sellotape over it as a temporary fix.

Now, we seem to have a problem.  Can't find a replacement back on Cousins and I'm having difficulty finding the original manufacturer who are Chinese - Mastop or IK Colouring  Two of the websites listed on the "guarantee" don't work.  There are another 3 I have to try.

On the plus side, the watch now fits perfectly, despite it being quite a big watch (at least for me), it really looks good on my wrist and it does keep perfect time.

Is there a way of permanently repairing the back?  I'm not worried about the look of it as no-one sees the back of the watch anyway.

First mechanical watch I've had in nearly 40 years and I seem to have a strange affinity to it similar to that of my very first and much loved watch which was a Timex.

A sad tale indeed, but there is still hope! If you post good-quality close-ups of the back, from above and from the side, together with some measurements (glass diameter and thickness) I expect we can help. You will not find any spares from the manufacturer, but I expect the glass will be a simple standardised form and size, and fitting a new one should not be too difficult.

• Like 2