Hamilton 629 Incabloc Setting Troubles

I'm servicing my grandfathers Hamilton Thin o' Matic, and I went to clean the shock setting when it snapped. I believe this is from having multiple services done on it, causing the metal to fatigue, and partially of course the fact that I'm very much a armature. After trying for 20 minutes to get the setting off it snapped completely, and left the "tail end" stuck inside. I'll show you a picture. I'm used to incabloc settings where the whole piece comes out as a whole and is replaced like wise, so I'm not sure why this one seems locked in place. I'm going to replace the setting of course, however I need to know how to replace it, and take the existing broken piece out. Any help guys? I would appreciate it a lot seriously.

IMG_0937.jpg

Its a series of task that you need to get good at as they will be often needed , namely ;

Loosen the stud screw, while the cock is still on the msinplate.

Removal of balance with cock atttached " a must "  for any time you service a watch.

Flipping the cock and balance assembly over   ( cock down , balance up)    so to turn the boot of the regualting arm to let the hairspring out of regulator slot. You then poke the stud out and drop the balance ( a soft landing).

Some settings are held in place by a U clip which when removed the setting would easily come out. 

Install the shock spring and assembke inreverse order.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I'm guessing, but this commercial demag machine maybe produces random magnetic fields to re-randomise  the iron particles. So heres one for you, synthetic rubies are coloured predominantly with chromium oxide . But natural rubies and old synthetic watch rubies were also coloured with iron oxide in higher percentages than chromium oxide. Which gave them a degree of.................🤔
    • I've never had a hairspring distort on me by passing the movement or just the balance in a plastic pot over this demagnetiser. Have you seen how fast a cleaning machine spins to spin-off fluid and that does no harm to a hairspring. I was a little concerned when I first used it, thinking it might be too strong, but I was wrong. It is strong, but it does no damage. I pass the part over the demagnetiser and keep going for about an arms length, so about a metre, to properly demag the part.
    • I don't think you would be able to find spare parts. Your best bet would be to get a new movement from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/256508500506?itmmeta=01HY3M863PSA61GK7B859QCWTE&hash=item3bb9191a1a:g:ubgAAOSwrJJgPP-s&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4DxWhpiQiz2ZjKpm3PS%2FHPh4IafsSzMWEobc2q4qQWgPGMZ8kCR8y2PRsm7GE31FjeSDYSWcEyGlrpZEdQyyzOSgsgsaPjbP7dYmK8r49Nh%2BEtSqDDIZ8Tbp3vvX035fFXgcjc1GEH8l%2FOWJ9aTeWNGzeBgUwqyhJ3ZSXji50TQr6rd38Sqwaqsj2oc51UVKqqIKySKTfxVB7X09EXcJsmeYc5GCdVODNkb02q2RsxfSIzpgl9dFCmW1Ih%2BPg2j2NziSELg5AfaHl%2FPU2Zn9fNnoVN1Z1NUAREyh2BCubcWC|tkp%3ABk9SR_bhoPTwYw
    • Here's a thought. Try unscrewing the bezel and the crystal. If you have one of those sticky balls for undoing casebacks, I would give that a try.
    • Last week I noticed my Eco-drive's second hand was stopped at 12 o'clock. I left it in the sun for a few days and no change, so I figured it was time to replace the rechargeable battery. I've had this guy for at least 15 years. Replaced the battery and the seconds hand moved to about 5 o'clock and stopped there. I let it sit for a day in the sun, no change. I took the battery out and tested it, and it's at 1.4v. The old one was at 1.0v. I'd like to test if it's charging. I've been looking around for diagnostic info, but only been able to find the owner's manual. Anyone have a reference for it?