Pocket watch case need help

Hi,

I'm trying to case up an Elgin 16s 313 that I cleaned/repaired recently. While the case is functional, the sleeve needs to be replaced or adjusted to keep the watch from always being in setting mode. However I'm having trouble getting the cap (or whatever it is called) off in order to unscrew the sleeve. I've included a picture and was wondering if there is some special tool or technique for this. I'd hate to brute force it and ruin the thing since it appears to be pretty soft brass and I have no idea where I might find a replacement.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

case .jpg

Edited by Levine98
clearity

That's the case tube and it's soldered to the case. No need to remove it. Remove the stem by gripping with smooth pliers and pull it through the inside of the case. If you have a proper sleeve wrench it should be no issue then to remove the sleeve. In many cases the sleeve can be accessed with the stem in place, so if your wrench isn't working removing the stem is the only thing I can think of that would help.

Thanks. Was able to remove the degraded leather washer and adjust the sleeve in place, as suggested. reassembled w/o leather washer (don't have anything to replace it with) but seems to be working fine now.