Open Tight Bezel - Advice Needed

Hi. Trying to remove this Ernst Benz Valjoux 2836-2 movement from case.

There are 2 case screws inside the back cover - movement is removed through the crystal.

The bezel is extremely tight. I cannot get my case knife in there. What is the recommended

procedure for opening something this tight? I have a BB crystal press that I was hoping I

could use to close the bezel when required.

Pics attached...

post-882-0-45448600-1431229042_thumb.jpg

post-882-0-21295500-1431229045_thumb.jpg

post-882-0-16400900-1431229048_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Stu

From the pictures it looks like you need to extract the movement from the back by unscrewing the back proper...The bezel might be pressure fit with an "I" ring same as the crystal...or maybe I'm missing something from the pictures?....and the stem has to be removed too (from the back on that movement!).

I agree with Bob the back needs un-screwing with the correct case opening tool. If it is not tight then a normal twist action opener will work if tight then you will need a Jaxa tool if extremely tight then a horotec case opener.

post-234-0-75548900-1431240039.png

post-234-0-57535000-1431239964.png

post-234-0-03999000-1431240114.png

If it does have to come through the front like many of the classic vintage watches that I work on, get a couple of single edged razor blades and very carefully force them into the joint. Once the bezel starts to lift switch to Stanley blades as these are a bit thicker, then the gap should be wide enough to finished off with a case knife. Please be very careful, and not lacerated yourself in the process, or slip and damage the dial.

If this fails, you may have to purchase bezel remover with four knifes as made by Horotec or others.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATCH-CASE-BEZEL-REMOVAL-TOOL-FOR-ROLEX-DAYTONA-EXPLORER-/161067737889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258062a321

This is the technique I use often, but I will say if it is a modern case, it could be very tight indeed.

When replacing the bezel, ensure the dies only exert pressure on the metal, both on the back and front of the watch, or you will crack one or both crystals.

I wrote the initial post rather quickly.... Let me clarify. I have removed the back with my Jaxa... The dial is oversized compared

to the movement - there is no removable movement ring, so the movement needs to come out the front after removing the

case screws (similar to pocket watch).  Getting the back off was no issue with the Jaxa. The front is very difficult. I think GEO's post is spot on. I will try the razor blad approach. I also own a 4-blade bezel remover, but I couldn't get the blades comfortably lined up. I think the razor blade approach will solve that for me as well.

Thanks all for your replies... If I get a chance today I will post better pics...

Stu