Polishing Pivots

arron

Hi guys,

I have been researching how to polish balance pivots (watched JD’s and other’s videos, read posts, etc.) and would love to get some input.  Right now I’m working on a Yankee dollar watch, but hope to be able to polish pivots on some of my other nicer PWs.

With the tools I have right now, I’m thinking about just using my lathe to chuck up the balance and use rouge and oil on peg wood to polish the pivot.  I read this in Fried’s book.  Is this a reasonable idea or is there an unreasonable risk of damaging the staff/balance?

I’m also contemplating upgrading to some specialized tool to do future jobs (who doesn’t want more tools).  So far I’ve identified three tools of interest.  There is the Jacot, a pivot polisher, and a balloon chuck.  Seems like the Jacot is the most expensive used tool and it also looks like it’s the most complicated to use.  I’ve not found much online that is helping me make the decision given utility/effectiveness, cost, and ease of use.

Do folks have thoughts about this?  Thank you.  Arron.

3 hours ago, arron said:

Hi guys,

I have been researching how to polish balance pivots (watched JD’s and other’s videos, read posts, etc.) and would love to get some input.  Right now I’m working on a Yankee dollar watch, but hope to be able to polish pivots on some of my other nicer PWs.

With the tools I have right now, I’m thinking about just using my lathe to chuck up the balance and use rouge and oil on peg wood to polish the pivot.  I read this in Fried’s book.  Is this a reasonable idea or is there an unreasonable risk of damaging the staff/balance?

I’m also contemplating upgrading to some specialized tool to do future jobs (who doesn’t want more tools).  So far I’ve identified three tools of interest.  There is the Jacot, a pivot polisher, and a balloon chuck.  Seems like the Jacot is the most expensive used tool and it also looks like it’s the most complicated to use.  I’ve not found much online that is helping me make the decision given utility/effectiveness, cost, and ease of use.

Do folks have thoughts about this?  Thank you.  Arron.

I usually use my lathe to do a polish on the pivot I have made as part of a balance staff.  I use the jacot to finalize and resize pivots….made a video on it. But takes some time to get use to using it.

• Like 1

We were taught in school to use the Jacot. I have a Jacot permanently set up, and it would be a rare week I don't use it once, more likely daily. It's really the best tool for the job; Swiss schools used to spend 3-6 months on its practice. But the "knack" can be had in about an hour of practice, get some 'steampunk' or whatever assortments of wheels and a Bergeon carbide burnisher and go to town.

• Like 1