Old BOSE CD/radio player repair (it is also a clock...so it fits on this forum!!!)

Thanks for sharing @LittleWatchShop , I've got two of these units and one is now fixed (I'll get to the other soon). I didn't bother trying to repair them as I couldn't find the schematics (also assuming I could find the faulty components). There's room for 25V caps too.

I have one in my 'workshop' and I've just been listening to the mostly grim news/talk stations for years... maybe some music of my choosing will improve my temperament when it comes to the watch repair!!

Thanks again, I owe you a pint 🍺 or two.

IMG_20220123_155159.thumb.jpg.f8f9dbd3a40b6608d2ff67ce0181d078.jpg

3 hours ago, Plato said:

Thanks again, I owe you a pint 🍺 or two

Hey, I am blessed that you got to use what I recently discovered!!

If you have a Samsumg flat panel TV that wont turn on, I can help with that too!!  These switch-mode power supplies sprinkled about this consumer electronics are really finicky about ESR and ESR is a function of aging.  Sadly, lots of stuff ends up in the land fill that just needs a few caps replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Hey, I am blessed that you got to use what I recently discovered!!

If you have a Samsumg flat panel TV that wont turn on, I can help with that too!!  These switch-mode power supplies sprinkled about this consumer electronics are really finicky about ESR and ESR is a function of aging.  Sadly, lots of stuff ends up in the land fill that just needs a few caps replaced.

Definitely, far too much electronics is thrown away for the sake of cheap and replaceable components. 

I haven't got a Samsung but I recently saved a 'Toshiba' which turned out to be Turkish designed (PSU and main board at least). I'm not a fan of switch mode PSUs, a duff regulator on the main board gave the impression that the PSU was faulty... it had me stumped for a while. 

I bet there's thousands of these Bose units which are faulty.

By the way, I used your repair on my other Bose which was in worse shape - "please wait" for ages, no working cd player and the occasional reset... fixed 😀

• 7 months later...

Hi @LittleWatchShop,

I just fixed my brother's NAD cd player. The laser/photodiode was getting weak and I had to turn up the current to the laser to get it to read properly. 

How did you remove the smd capacitors off without damaging the board? Did you use a soldering iron or a hot air gun? Did you pre-heat the underside first?

TIA

13 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Hi @LittleWatchShop,

I just fixed my brother's NAD cd player. The laser/photodiode was getting weak and I had to turn up the current to the laser to get it to read properly. 

How did you remove the smd capacitors off without damaging the board? Did you use a soldering iron or a hot air gun? Did you pre-heat the underside first?

TIA

I have a hot air station, and a desoldering station, so it depends on the smd size as to which I use.