Help: small French clock mvmt - "JF"

KarlvonKoln

Among a small haul of wristwatches I took in trade (some of which I may post to the 404 thread) was this little clock movement.  I need a bit of help.

Before I can even attempt finding a pin-lever for it, I need to learn more about it.  I know precious little about clocks; they are not my forté, though I can work on them.  In one picture I drew arrows marking the missing lever and missing setting shaft/knob.  There were no markings on or under the dial.  The only markings it seems to have are: "Fabrication Francais" [made in France] and "JF".  It is not large, maybe 47 mm dia.  If there is any way I can search for parts, I'd like to try.  Anyone here encounter its like?

Addendum: Google is no help with this.  And, without the lever, all wheels move easily and smoothly and the spring is intact and seems strong, and its ratchet works well.  Also, despite being slightly coned, the hairspring breathes right, and with just a light puff of air, the balance will swing for almost 30 sec.  The balance is quite good. I'd love to see it run.  Then maybe come up with a worthy case for it.

IMG_20220106_214540.jpg

IMG_20220106_213733.jpg

IMG_20220106_214339.jpg

IMG_20220106_215039.jpg

IMG_20220106_214618.jpg

Edited by KarlvonKoln

• 2 weeks later...

Not much help I's sorry to say. The pallets are completely missing they would be pin pallets. What is under the dial? that might give a clue. Is the balance staff OK only in the third photo the balance wheel looks to be at a funny angle. 

If you look here you will see a photo of the same movement posted some time ago. The movement is in a right mess but it does show the pallets. How about sending the person a message to see if he could help you with the pallets.

• Thanks 1

Thank you much, OH and Watchweasol.  Based on this new data, I have info to use in looking for a donor movement, or I can try measuring out and making a replica lever.  And with the photos I can make it look like the original if I have to.  OldHippy, would you say the pivots on the lever staff should look just like those on the other wheels?  I noticed it had its own cock, so the staff would be a tiny bit longer, but I didn't know if there would be other differences as a result.
I'm thinking this doesn't look like a very high-end expensive clock.  But it should be good practice for me.  I do need to expand my clock experience.

There were no other marks under the dial or on back of it, and nothing out of the ordinary.  And the balance seems fine and turns beautifully, but I admit my camera angle was strange.  I was closer than I should have been and it may have resulted in parallax distortion.

Edited by KarlvonKoln

The pivots on any staff are never the same as the pivots on the train. If you mean should the pivots be the same on the pallets as the pivots on the wheel train then yes very much. But don't forget to take into consideration the end shake and the diameter of the holes. There is a heck of a lot of working out entrance and exit of the balance to pallets for it to work properly plus getting the pallet pins correct and in the right place. Normally it is 8 beats per minute.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

The pivots on any staff are never the same as the pivots on the train. If you mean should the pivots be the same on the pallets as the pivots on the wheel train then yes very much. But don't forget to take into consideration the end shake and the diameter of the holes. There is a heck of a lot of working out entrance and exit of the balance to pallets for it to work properly plus getting the pallet pins correct and in the right place. Normally it is 8 beats per minute.  

Oh yes, making a pin lever won't be easy at all.  But I will learn things.  If I cannot find another donor-movement of the exact kind, then this little movement will become a teaching tool for me.  I have a couple brass clock-wheel blanks, and some pivot wire and other steel and brass rod.  I don't mind sitting here working on the math and seeing how one radius would intersect another, distance between pins, entry and exit of impulse tab on balance staff, whatever I need to do.  And if I make a lever that doesn't work, I will figure out why and make the next one differently.  It is my ambition to build a whole clock some day, but that will take a while so I am learning little bits a piece at a time.  This little movement didn't really cost me anything so I won't be losing money in practicing.