My first repair attempt. Elgin 345

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

9415 is a very clever grease

There is a minor fault with a very clever grease. If you look at the Omega document their extremely obsessed with minimalistic quantities of the grease. On an American pocket watch it's not really an issue at all. But the concern is on impact it's extremely slippery but it's grease if it's not on impact. So if you have too much on the Pallet stone it will grab the sides of the escape wheel Pausing and energy loss.

But I don't think we really have to be so obsessed with it. It's really nice  stays wherever you put it and does a nice job.

Always so much to learn. Thanks for the input!

My demagnetizer arrived today, and it really worked a treat. Completely demagnetized my tweezers and screwdrivers. I also made a silly time-lapse video of the watch running.

Speaking of screwdrivers, I managed to make a little time to get out into the woodshop and make myself a quick and dirty screwdriver caddy from some scrap wood, as well as a balance tack. Because why not combine hobbies?

I didn't sand the wood because it was 40F in the shop, even with the heaters going full blast, but I did bring the brass tack up to 1500 grit and finished with tripoli compound.

20220108_212359.jpg

• Like 2