seperated wheel

scott78

Hello, I'm new to watch repair so at the moment everything is a challenge!. I am working on my dads old watch what has seized up through water damage. after stripping it down and cleaning it all I damaged what I think is the centre wheel, separating the wheel from the pinion.

after a long google search it looks like I need a staking set to rivet the two back together, am I right? also is it possible to reuse the same pinion or do I need to buy another. I have attached a picture in case the names of the parts are wrong.

thank you in advance

20211208_090805.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-091548_Video Player (2).jpg

Hi  It is easier with a staking tool but can be done with punches and a staking block, you will need hollow domed punches and hollow flat punches to complete the "rivit"  its more than like;y a press fit on to a tapered pinion shaft. Both parts look ok as the pivots are intact.  Care needs to be taken on not getting the wheel out of flat and will need checking with its adjacent wheel before re assembly, dont use too nuck pressure when re filling.   Keep us informed on your progress.   good luck

• Like 2

lightly punch the edge of the hole all around. Hard enough to see a mark but not so hard that it visibly distorts the hole. Work around the hole and both sides of the wheel and that should tighten it up sufficiently.

I have also used solder to hold the pipe of an hour wheel but in this case I would try the punch method as the wheels are not under great load.

Anilv

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

well the staking set arrived from china in good time, and i enthusiastically set about the repair. alas a little to keen the first 'tap' warped the wheel. I got it flush again and with a softer touch attached the wheel. unfortunately when I rebuilt the train it was catching as it wasnt 100% right. I reseperted the wheel once again but couldn't get it right. the hole in the wheel is now far too damaged so i have packed the watch away until i come across a replacement wheel.

thanks for you help, its all part of the learning curve i guess

Scott