Series of experiments that led to a watch

After assembling few watches from readily available parts of AliExpress it was very natural to want something more of a custom thing. This is a result of my first attempts in making a custom dial and casing and all techniques involved. Original dial stripped down to bare brass, soldered movement posts to match new movement, primed and painted silver then inkjet waterslide decal and finally glossy coating. Movement holder is 3d printed. Seiko VH31 quartz movement pretending to be mechanical ticking at 4Hz. 34mm case used is from and old and broken beyond repair soviet Poljot which itself is a homage to Omega Geneve. And I twisted it further to be a homage of Explorer :)

DSC03923.jpg

DSC03924_1.jpg

DSC03928.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Michael! This one is spray primed and brush painted with acrylic. My first attempts were spray paint and toner transfer from laser decal. While smooth the color didn't work for me and toner transfer was a miss. I still continue my experiments with hand cutting dials from brass sheet and shaping them with 3d printed forms. I love this vintage watch look with curved dials and domed plastic crystals. 

DSC03935_1.jpg