Wittnauer AllProof movement removal

coder79

Hey everyone, I just picked up this Wittnauer AllProof and, despite being "recently serviced", it's not running very well. I'd like to open it and have a look. I put it under the microscope and it seems to have a solid case. I have a crystal remover but am not sure how to remove the winding stem to release the movement. Any tips?

Thank you!

Tim

20211120_133533.jpg

20211120_133544.jpg

Most of the time with watches that come out through the front you can pull really hard on the crown and it comes out. It's attached to what's called a split stem which is spring-loaded. To understand this link below has lots of nice pictures.

But notice I use the word most of the time? There are a few watches that the stem while split has to slide apart it's not designed to pull apart and if you pull it apart you will break it. Fortunately these are few and far between so most of them you just pull really hard. If it is a kind the slide apart and if you're lucky when you remove the crystal you can See the stem and rotate it so it can be slid apart. Also really good when you're assembling it up because you can see what you're doing.

https://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2019/03/23/what-is-a-split-stem/

7 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

But notice I use the word most of the time?

Indeed.  Stellaris transistorized watches (branded by Sears & Roebuck) use a Seiko movement and you have to remove the crystal (which has a compression ring) and then you can see a little slot in the dial.  You push a sharp object in there to press a lever which releases the stem.  A genuine pain in the ass IMO.

In this case, I would remove the crystal and investigate further.

12 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

you can pull really hard on the crown and it comes out.

That was terrifying and it worked. This is the nicest watch I've owned by a long shot. The piece of the stem that came out looks exactly like the pictures you linked. Thanks John!