Pocket Watch that I would now like some advice on

No, I don't. Just like I had NEVER heard of Bulova as well as many other brands. Apparently, from what I could find on the internet, Swiss made movement supplied to a USA manufacturer. Glass apparently is quite scratched. Bit of rust on the movement. Rear cover looks like it is a bit out of round. I don't think I would be bothered if I miss out on it. At this point I really don't know how far I would be prepared to go as far as dollars go.

sellingantiques.com.uk seems to sell a few of them, but I don't know what sort of prices.

I just like the look of it. And the colour as well. The other pocket watch that I bought, the Rotherham, has blued and polished screws in the movement which is nice, but the hands are a mixed bag of finishes. However it has a full bridge and the only thing you can see in it is the balance. The Craven is a bit more open as far as bridges goes and has more to see going on. Hands look way better, but the screw in the movement look a bit rough.

Funny how things are so different between brands.

I was flat out at work when the auction ended and so didn't bid. I didn't set up automatic bidding either. The watch finally went for $61. I probably wouldn't have bid past $50 anyway. I'm not bothered to have missed out on it as I said earlier.

There'll be others. 🙂 

• 1 year later...

Well as you can all tell, I haven't touched the Rotherham as yet. I very much need to acknowledge that my skill in fixing watches is not related to my ability to repair cars. As is also my clock knowledge and skill. 

I am concerned now that I may have paid too much for the Rotherham based on what this went for. $30 more than what I paid for the Rotherham. Difficult to not have buyer's remorse when you see something like that.

If anyone can tell me please, what do they mean when they say gold filled?'

Edited by Michael1962

Michael1962 asked: what do they mean when they say gold filled?

A quick Google search yields the answer:

Both gold filled and gold plated jewelery are made by applying a thin layer of gold over a base metal. Gold filled jewelry is more standardized and must contain at least 5% gold, whereas gold plated jewelry can contain any amount of gold (usually the absolute thinnest layer possible).

• Like 1