Newbie watch project - Seeking help please!

Hi All,

Im Jess, just joined after watching the amazing content on the Youtube channel. 

There's a battery operated Quartz watch that I am trying to repair for my friend's mom as its got some sentimental value to it.

The watch never managed to revolve a full cycle without getting stuck. Even setting the time was a problem because the hour hand would not be engaged when I would try engaging it with the stem. I opened it up completely, cleaned all the parts and am reassembling it. I still notice, the gears on the top face of the watch are still getting stuck as before. While rotating the stem, the gears rotate to a certain extent, and then get stuck again, leading the stem to keep rotating on its own when being wound. I cannot figure out what is causing these gears to get stuck. (Underneath the big golden gear is a tiny silver gear that sits flush with it). The big silver gear links to the adjuscent plastic gear, while the tiny silver gear underneath the golden one (not visible in this picture) is what connects to the other silver gear on the side. I have also added a picture of the bottom side gears.

Its my first watch project. Can I please get some help/advise on how to resolve this issue. Thank you all in advance.

Regards, Jess.

IMG_20210923_173232.jpg

IMG_20210924_170800.jpg

IMG_20210925_181721.jpg

This is what baffles me. I thought so too at first. But the teeth on all gears are in tact surprisingly. When it reaches the point where it gets stuck, it starts pushing the silver gear out of place. That gear is secured by the metal plate on top.

Hi  Remove the hour wheel and the min wheel  (big Golden one and the silver one) then try moving the rest of the aasembly with the stem, If thats ok and revolves ok for a complete turn then add the hour wheel and try again. It is possible that under torque the wear on the wheels is causing the problem.