Trying To Put A Brand To A Case

Vich

I am trying to identify the brand that may have used this case.  It is a tall order and I can easily slip in a random movement if I have to but just on the off chance does it ring any bells with anyone please.

post-197-0-96638400-1429956910_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-37056300-1429956876_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-02608500-1429956936_thumb.jpg

The inside of the back has something that looks like a Fir tree with ADB under it but it may just be referring to stainless steel.  Side to side (sans winder) is 33mm and lugs are 18 mm.

It came in a job lot but the quality is much higher than the rest of the stuff most of which ended up in the bin.

Cheers,

Vic

Not an answer to this post but thought the following link may be useful to all members as it is the most comprehensive I have come across (not found a tree though!).

http://mikrolisk.de/show.php

That's a great link (used it before) but not for reverse searching an image. I can imagine you'd go nuts before going thru the thousands of pages. [emoji1] Edited by ro63rto

Good find canthus! ...can't believe I spent so long looking for it and never found it...I even looked at vintage play boy magazines just in case! Some of the center folds used to wear watches too, I didn't want to miss any possibility! :)

PS. I've bookmarked your link! Thanks.

Well the relevant info was:-

ADB ((mit Tanne / Baum (with fir tree))

A. Donzé Baume SA

Les Breuleux, Schweiz, Registriert am 27/1/1987

The company is quite old and took in work from "respectable" clientelle whatever that means,  recently taken over by Richemont but I believe that the case probably predates that take-over.

The crown recess is 5mm. Case internal diameter 28.76 mm ( probably a 12.75 or 12.5 Ligne movement) with the dial resting on an internal lip of that diameter and held in place by a nickel ring that is notched for the stem and has a locating finger that slides in a groove on the opposite side to the stem tube and the whole lot is held in place by the spring which locates in the panerai back.

I have given all the parts a good ultrasonic and the case is excellent and I do not understand how it has survived without a scratch unless the steel is incredibly hard.  The back has some slight scratching where I bresume someone has been trying to unscrew it without the correct tool but they will buff out.  I notice that the lugs are drilled through for the pins and not closed off on the outside.

I will try to find potential donors now but I have a feeling this is not going to be a cheap project - but it is quite good fun after all the wedding prep for my daughter I had missed a bit tinker.

As always happy to receive any suggestions form you chaps / chapesses

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

Just an update I have got a movement for the case :

Vintage Girard Perregaux, Peseux 200 17 jewels Watch movement

Never worked on one of these yet and don't know much about it but the movement is quite thin according to Ranft and that is what I need to fit the case, the diameter is spot on as well and it looks like the stem will line up.

post-197-0-75706400-1430650679_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-44861200-1430650694_thumb.jpg

There are a few things to sort out but parts are quite available if a bit pricey. The hour wheel is £8.00 for starters and the stem about £6 but the movement is a perfect fit for the case and I have some dials that will fit .  Perregaux dials are available but only at 3 times the price paid for the movement which was only £9.88 inclusive of postage.  Hands should not be a problem.

Looks like a full strip down is needed and oiling - which reminds me I am out of D5 - that will cost more than the lot. :notfair:

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1