Selecting a vice for watch repairing

WatchingOracle

Hi everyone.

A quick question.

I've been slowly trying to get my workspace planned and realised I totally have overlooked a vice. In the past any vice work for anything would be on my fathers clunker of a vice that honestly isn't in the best state of repair and I do think I need to get something for my watch repair work especially for refurbishing cases.

Anyone got any advice on vice selection? I have no idea where to start with selection and haven't seen much talk about vices and thoughts on them regarding watch repairing.

Cheers!

There are many options available The Bergeon 4040 is one which crops up with recomendations. there are two versions one in metal and one in carbon fibre. There are other bergeon models also. and different sizes. Beware the cheap ones as their grip is suspect.  There is a fair chance you will use several different styles in the course of your hobby, There will do doubt be members who will reccomend their favourites as we all have our preferences.  I have three styles I use for different watches.

Cheers @jdmSeems that thread had a lot but mostly on vintage vices. I guess the likelyhood of finding one like that in Australia is remote. I figured i'd be buying something new off the shelf tbh as finding old watch equipment here is rare and I can only imagine international post for a heavy vice would be very expensive for shipping.

43 minutes ago, WatchingOracle said:

Seems that thread had a lot but mostly on vintage vices,

Actually it has ample discussion about the Bergeon copy sold by Cousins UK. That is what I have, among others.

43 minutes ago, WatchingOracle said:

a heavy vice would be very expensive for shipping.

Then you have to better define what are you looking for. A watchmaker vise is never heavy,  maybe 1 Kg the most. Very useful are the 30mm bench one or the handheld. I have refurbished very many cases but never needed to use a big vise, or one at all.

• Thanks 1

@jdm Yes I saw that after I posted. Though that being said too, I would still prefer to see if I can find something locally in Australia for the afore mentioned reasons.

As for weight and the vice well I think even something small can cost a pretty penny sometimes for post. I guess you've never had an item shipped to Australia lol. Our postage can be a real pain in the backside sometimes depending on what it is. Last thing I ordered was a book that was out of print I was lucky enough to find in used bookshop overseas. The book cost LESS than the postage, with the postage coming in close to $100 AUD cause of the weight. I didn't think it weighed all that much to be honest.

Any Aussies on here with any opinions or views on what they use, if they sourced something they really liked that was local, would be appreciated.

👍

21 minutes ago, WatchingOracle said:

I would still prefer to see if I can find something locally in Australia for the afore mentioned reasons.

From what I have seen Australia has pretty much the same situation as the rest of the world which is flooded with Chinese tools. I do not remember seeing any specific watchmaking vise made by them but you can find the 40 or 50mm ones at the hardware store. Some are average, some just terribile. Otherwise you can check out the best general purpose brands like Craftsman, Stanley, Dremel, Proxxon (still mostly made in China). You should be able to find online or YouTube reviews and comparisons for all these.

21 minutes ago, WatchingOracle said:

I guess you've never had an item shipped to Australia lol.

Actually I did, both ways including when I visited Australia. It was before the VAT allowance was lowered or eliminated, I remember one guy at the office ordering custom car parts from the USA like crazy. Surely shipping is relatively expensive, one of these cases where if one really wants a specific item will have to pay extra for it. Probably not needed for a garage vise.

• Thanks 1

@jdmYeah I'm not sure. I need to see. With Fathers Day here coming up, general tool shops etc that stock a lot of the brands you mentioned are having sales but I probably won't get anything soon. I need to save up too. I want to get a good feel for what might be needed and will have a better proper read of the thread you linked in the mean time too.

I'd still rather get locally especially for something that won't be cheap as right now mail loss is at an all time high especially where overseas parcels are concerned and I don't need the trouble with Australia Post lol.