Hello to you all out there

Hi there everyone. Hope you are all doing well where ever you may be.

So a little bit about myself. I've been recently inspired to take up watch repairing for a hobby. To be honest... I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to this. I blame all the (very good I might say) watch repair videos on Youtube I've been watching during lockdown that have given me the encouragement to give it a try. I have also just started Mark's Watchfix Video course, and am eagerly awaiting my tools and Seagull 3620 movement to arrive in the mail so I can get started 🙂

I have no practical experience with any kind of watch repairs at all... Changing some straps and cutting my finger open to change a battery years and years ago on a poorly designed cheap ebay watch, is about as much as I can lay claim to having tinkered with watches haha.

That being said however I do have a penchant for digital watchface design and have been doing programming and design for my smartwatch over the last few years (though seriously smartwatches are a can of worms and until they get them lasting on a once-a-month battery at the minimum they really are a lousy replacement for a good traditional wristwatch in my opinion). It would be nice to perhaps see which of my designs could be articulated over to a real watch instead of a smartwatch display in the future.

Anyhow, I digress. I do have a nice albeit small collection of different watches and pocket watches. Most are very old (relative term of course). I have a soft spot for Seiko's (I blame Roger Moore's James Bond and my father for that lol). Seiko watches also make the bulk of my collection.

My first mechanical watch I brought myself was a Seiko 7S26-02J0 (pictured..and yes I know you've all seen this Seiko before lol) which I got about 2001 back in high school and was my daily driver for most of the last 20 years. It's had a few knicks (and a lot of knocks) over the years but I think it's held up remarkably well (which mind you, I am really keen to get on my watch timer as this thing all these years later, still keeps really impeccable time well beyond its specs).

My aspirations are to be able to service my watches in order to keep them running as well as possible for as long as possible, and to repair a few which are in desperate need of it (my father was notorious for breaking the watch crystals on his watches and never getting them repaired).

Fortunately all of them still will run but they really are in need of some good TLC with service and repairs. I also plan on restoring some of them to showroom if I can, as I have skills from silversmithing and other related past hobbies that should come in handy for dial and case restoration.

Seiko 7S26-02J0.jpg

• 2 months later...