Should I attempt to re-pivot this wheel

This is the third wheel in a cheap Baumgartner 866 movement from my box-o-watches.  I have no attachment to it...it was just next in line for repair attempts.  This one had some water damage and thus rust.

I measure the diameter to be 185um and length of 660um.

Having never tried to re-pivot, this should be a new and exciting experience.

I think I should try it?  No??  Guidance from the wise ones on this forum?

2021-06-30 12_04_11-Photos.png

Sorry I can't tell if the pivots are broken or otherwise damaged? If not, personally I would clean it well with ammonia, make the watch work, store it and move on. With no doubt you will have a next occasion to practice repivoting.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Sorry I can't tell if the pivots are broken or otherwise damaged? If not, personally I would clean it well with ammonia, make the watch work, store it and move on. With no doubt you will have a next occasion to practice repivoting.

Under a microscope, it is clearly eaten away close to the wheel.  I have already crossed the Rubicon on this one.  I have been able to start a hole after removing the pivot.  However, my pivot bits are too soft.  Off to find some carbide bits.

Also...this is a perfect watch to practice on.  There is no real down side.

13 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have been able to start a hole after removing the pivot.  However, my pivot bits are too soft.

You need to anneal the pinion first. Nothing more that a good heating and let it cool.

13 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Off to find some carbide bits.

No carbide until few decades ago but machinist and watchmakers were making plain incredible work already.

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

What temp? 750F hot enough (easy to do with soldering iron)?

<looks like I need about twice that temp>

No need to go with everything the metallurgy books say, they are talking about completely annealing big chunks of fully hardened steel. You part is small and not fully hardened. An alcohol burner or even a candle will be OK. Do not keep it on for a long time or will be a pain to clean. This is what an old watchmaking book says 

https://books.google.com/books?id=llc0DwAAQBAJ&pg=PP34

• 2 weeks later...