Fractured Barrel

clockboy

I have finally found time to strip down the Fusee wall clock and despite its age it is still in pretty good condition apart from the mainspring barrel. It has a hairline fracture and I know the best option would be to make a new barrel but I only have a watchmakers lathe. Maybe perhaps to insert a sleeve but I guess that could cause issues when the spring unwinds. Normally I remove the mainspring etc and inspect and replace if necessary but not sure  by disturbing  the barrel it could cause it to fracture more. 
Any thoughts guys. 

61114FDF-9A15-40CF-B133-DD98E16F07E1.thumb.jpeg.524d216978dd2c847f932df02647d740.jpeg

Hi wonderful the fusee clock.   Is it an Elliott?   Personally to strengthen from the inside of the barrel is the place to start.. but it is showing its age.. being a fusee they have been made with least wear involved.. I would put a sleeve in if you have the tools and workshop.. obviously the weakest spot..

Sorry to say the only way is to have a new barrel made. Get yourself a Unimat 3 then you can make one yourself. Trying to strengthen from the inside you will cut down the depth that the spring hooks on. If you just cover over the split the spring will rub against it and it will cause wear in the spring.  

Just now, oldhippy said:

Sorry to say the only way is to have a new barrel made. Get yourself a Unimat 3 then you can make one yourself. Trying to strengthen from the inside you will cut down the depth that the spring hooks on. If you just cover over the split the spring will rub against it and it will cause wear in the spring.  

That’s my conclusion as well. All I can do for now is inform the customer and if it runs with the fracture then so be it. I desperately need a descent lathe but before that I need to clear my garage with is a big time consuming job. 

The fracture is the beginning of the end of power for the movement. It will probably give another year or so of service .  I usually tell my clients if you wish it replaced , work your measurements and drawings. I can do it in my work lot ... otherwise don't wind it to its full.. A new Barrell  rather than a repair is the right way to do it..    all the best...if you don't have the right equipment think outside the box, it's amazing How necessity is the mother of invention...

5 hours ago, Rodgo said:

The fracture is the beginning of the end of power for the movement. It will probably give another year or so of service .  I usually tell my clients if you wish it replaced , work your measurements and drawings. I can do it in my work lot ... otherwise don't wind it to its full.. A new Barrell  rather than a repair is the right way to do it..    all the best...if you don't have the right equipment think outside the box, it's amazing How necessity is the mother of invention...

Thanks Rodgo. That is what I have told the customer today. He is very happy as he was told it was not possible to get the movement running. He also is not prepared to pay for the cost of a new barrel. I have done my bit and on to next job.

vid of it running on test before I polished and smartened it up.