Rubbish Box Of Case Parts

Whilst I have done little in the way of tinkering lately, in the wee small hours I still peruse ebay and made some purchases. 

Got  Helbros Invincible and a Golay watch is winging its way to LA, also a cheapo watch called a Ling which looks like a primitive low quality chronograph but only in appearance and i have no experience of it yet.  Looks like the push buttons start and stop the second hand and there is a sub dial at 9 that attracted me in the first place - pin escapement and only 1 jewel but could be fun to mess with and really cheap.  The Golay movement is intact but needs service as does the Helbros.

I took a punt on two lots of watch cases / bezels as I thought I recognised a few of them but I could be wrong.  Got each lot for 99p but postage was supposed to be £4.50, the seller said he would combine it so the total is max £11.00 but hopefully nearer to £6.50 - we shall see.

Cheers,

Vic

Generally speaking I am multi tasking.  Today my better half is meeting up with the daughter for the final dress fitting and I will be putting on the Marzipan.

I made a 10 inch and an  8 inch fruit cake for the wedding (Mary Berry Recipe) a while ago and as well as a half pint of brandy that went into the fruit to plump it up for 3 days, I have been feeding the cakes regularly with additional brandy.  just over a bottle in total has been used.  it smells great.  I made one at Christmas that just about vanished and hopefully these are as good.

In the kitchen my sugar paste Cala lilies are  underway for the decoration (courtesy of you tube instructional video) and drying nicely. 

Its all go

Cheers,

Vic

Just finished the marzipan and the boss is still out so I thought I would post my efforts.  I would never manage a bake off as I am just too slow.  The first is the centres of the Cala lilies drying out, the pollen effect is from corn meal stuck on with edible glue.  The second is the two cakes nice and flat and level so the china topper does not fall off hopefully.  Once Marzipan dries out that is the base for the Fondant Icing and then decorations go on.

post-197-0-54935000-1428936219_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-02288500-1428936301_thumb.jpg

Right time for a coors light (on a diet until I get to Dublin (:-))

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the parts were rubbish and went into the bin but I did retrieve quite a few old lenses that are recoverable with a bit of effort and polywatch so they will go in my spares collection.  However there was one case that seems to be worthy of a bit attention, nothing fantastic but I wonder if any of you guys recognise the case and I may get a movement for it as it is SSteel and not in bad nick. it is 33mm side to side with 18 mm lugs and inside the back there is something a bit like a tree with ADB under which may just refer to s. steel.  Here are some pics.

post-197-0-21379700-1429890622_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-53549900-1429890658_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-12991300-1429890689_thumb.jpg

Finally The wedding went off perfectly well outside in 68 degrees and me with a taily coat and waistcoat on - lathered.  The cake - well not bad for an old farty tinkerer

post-197-0-46313200-1429890926_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Surprisingly the Top Tier is wrapped up as airtight as possible and my daughter is hanging on to it.  But the bottom tier got savaged - thank the Lord it tasted OK.

An Omega one for my 65 is a possibility - I have to decide which Omega though.

I will not be rushing to make another until Christmas though as it takes hours to make and decorate.

Cheers,

Vic

That Vic, is one of the nicest looking cakes I have ever seen. B)

An Omega for your 65th!

As an Omega lover, I would suggest a Constellation with 561 movement. :) Whatever you decide on do a lot of research to make sure it is AOK as there are a lot of redials and franken about. If I can help at all don't hesitate to give me a shout.

• Like 2

Vic congratulations for the superb cake and the ceremony!

As for the case you have found, it is a liitle difficult to say which movement would fit in.

The hallmark ADB  with the tree is from the Swiss company Donzé-Baume SA (a watch case and bracelet manufacturer) which is part of the Richemont group.

Cheers

Evan

Thanks for the response Evan. 

I started another thread in the help and advice forum as I did my usual thing of mixing up my topics, unfortunately it is a habit of mine.

I have found that it could be any of the following:-

IWC, LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier, Sinn, Chronoswiss, Vacheron, Panerai, Piaget, Constantin, Piaget and more.  They are a really popular case maker used by those who preferred not to go to Asia for their stuff and particularly wanted Swiss manufacture.  Case is really quite ordinary but just well made.  Looking at the case it seems like a 70's sort of design but thats a complete guess.  I will need a movement 26mm and about 3.5mm height.  I am just taking my time and it is now something I am going back to every now and then.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich