Hello from Kentucky

jtking96

Hello! I'm a mechanical engineer from Kentucky, and I've had an interest in mechanical watches for a long time because of the detail and craftsmanship involved in them, though I only own and wear one simple watch, a Seiko 5 sports watch. Recently, I got a suggestion for a Wristwatch Revival video on YouTube. After watching several of his videos, I decided I would get some simple tools and try my hand at servicing a watch, and I also made my way here since he speaks highly of Mark in many of his videos. I picked up a working 1953 Bulova from eBay for $24 shipped, and got the movement (picture below) stripped down and ready for cleaning. Hopefully I can get it back together okay!

I'm looking forward to learning more about this hobby!

20210411_211414.thumb.jpg.64f626a295187251b63c4f64944af798.jpg

Although diagram&datasheel is likely to be available on this caliber, taking many pictures as you tear the movement is a good practice to make a habit of, lucky finding out what parts goes where is easy on this one.

Someone must have cleaned it in shellac unfriendly cleaning solution in cleaning machine, since I see no trace of shallac on pallet jewels.

Welocme to the forum.

Regs 

Joe

I took a picture of every screw I removed next to the hole it came out of, plus some more on top of that! I considered taking a video even, but that felt like it was going to be too much setup.

The pivot side of the pallet fork is pictured below, looks like there is shellac on that side?

20210412_171335.thumb.jpg.cf39d804538bc7db3e952b694eea9a2f.jpg

• Thanks 1

You’ll do great. Just be patient. If (when) you start feeling stressed/frustrated, walk away for a bit. That’s the first thing my mentor taught me. Well, that’s the second thing. The first thing was when he pointed at the hairspring with his tweezers and said “see that? That ain’t no F’ing slinky!”

• Haha 1