Junghans?

RogerH

Just as an update, here's the clock so far. the mech runs really well. I've yet to decide whether to replace the pendulum with the R&A sticker - it's just not as nice as a painted one. I've cleaned the case but I often feel it's not right to completely strip and re-varnish etc - it's wear and tear is all part of it's character - but is that the done thing?

My only bug bear is the chime. Despite a new hammer (the old one was worn down to metal) and clean up of the gong (Its the classic spiral type)it still sounds like someone hitting a car roof with a spanner! can anything be done about that? or does this type of clock not have a lovely deep chime tone?

Junghans Wall Clock.jpg

The type of case sometimes can cause the strike to sound dull. Any splits in the wood won’t help the tone.  Try moving the hammer away from the gong or if the hammer is on a rod move it back a fraction. If the new hammer is hard that can cause problems, if you are able to soften the material it is made out of paint some oil on it to soften it up.

• Thanks 1

Hi  The clock looks nice, I personally do not strip the wood and re varnish. I got like that in life its part of the character of any clock.  clean it and beeswax and elbow grease should do.  Spiral gongs differ I have three clocks with them and all sound different. As OH says the type of wood and condition of the case can make a difference. As said try the tricks with the hammer should be leather.

• Thanks 1