Any tips/advice on cleaning gold plate?

Good evening,

Does anyone have any tips/tricks or experiences on cleaning gold plate (by hand) on watch cases without wearing through the gold plate? Perhaps with some common household products?

Thanks in advance for your help

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, even a cheap one commonly sold for small jewelry items, you can use it for gold plated items. Jeweler's polishing cloths and red rouge on a microfiber cloth work well.

In general, any method that avoids heavy pressure, high heat, and abrasives will be fine.

• Thanks 1

I just use a metal polish called "Silvo"  (the silver/gold equivalent of Brasso) by hand - with a rag and cotton buds.

It works so well I only use the ultrasonic to clear off residue. I also clean hands with it.

• Thanks 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I just poked an inflation calculator, and $5 in 2020 would be about $6 in 2024. Doesn't fit very neatly into any status codes, which stop at 5XX, but that's honestly somewhat arbitrary outside of a clever pun for those that dabble in such things. Back during the pandemic, I would spend a good chunk of idle time in the evenings scanning through hundreds of listings a night, and I would only land 1-2 a week max. I would often go months without finding something suitable. A very small percentage of the watches in the price range are worth pulling the trigger on for my purposes. The number floating through the thread here may be somewhat deceptive.
    • Hi, guys I got there in the end after several attempts using a screwdriver and Rodico, I couldn't wait for the tool to arrive and was getting pretty confident handling the stud screw without it flying away. At first, I was using far too much Rodico, and then realized you only need the smallest amount inside the screw slot. Putting the cock back onto the movement also helped as it gave me more to hold onto while my shaky hand tried to align the screw wobbling away at the end of the screwdriver😁 Anyway, job done and I can move on. Thanks again for all the advice it's really appreciated for a beginner. 
    • I'd be interested in a copy of this book if anyone has one they'd like to sell  
    • You need to know at least the basics. Then the questions that You ask will begin to make sense. From what is seen on the video, the gear train and escapement look fine, but the balance doesn't rotate free. I can suppose that the thin gold colored shim that must stay under the balance cock is not in place.
    • Yes, there are a lot of shapes and all of them are used in different cases. The one in Waltham A11 is one of the most spreaded and is what I have shown in the beginning. Of course, the radius of the final curve will depend on the distance between the hole in the stone and the regulator pins on the cock