A Most Beautiful Watch Movement...

I just finished servicing this Rare and Most Beautiful Watch Movement. I will later case this as a Wristwatch for a current customer...It is in Mint Condition!

1946 10s Hamilton 923 23-jewels, 18000bph, Jeweled Motor Barrel, Solid Gold Train,  Gold Jewel Settings and Gold Cap Stone Mounts, also with Circular Damaskeen  and perle'e.

This is a customer supplied movement for this conversion so I have no Idea what he paid for it, but could you imagine what it would cost to produce in today's market!?

post-90-0-75884900-1392653313_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-58587300-1392653314_thumb.jpg

Ah... Hamiltons....! Yummy!

I have several - a 4992B (GCT military, 24-hour model), a 23 (military chronograph), a 992 and two 992Bs - and the most beautiful models as far as the movements go, are the 992 and the 992Bs.

The 992 and the 992Bs are lever set and size 16s - is this a problem for conversion, or do you not use these for conversion work?

Edited by WillFly

Ah... Hamiltons....! Yummy!

I have several - a 4992B (GCT military, 24-hour model), a 23 (military chronograph), a 992 and two 992Bs - and the most beautiful models as far as the movements go, are the 992 and the 992Bs.

The 992 and the 992Bs are lever set and size 16s - is this a problem for conversion, or do you not use these for conversion work?

Hi WillFly,

The issue with converting the Hamilton 992's, and really most American pocket watch movements, is the keyless works. Unlike most European pocket watches where the stem is a working part of the movement, the American watch company's preferred to integrate the winding and setting stem into the case by developing the adjustable sleeve system. As you know, the movement and stem are separate from each other until the movement is placed in a corresponding case connecting in a male/female system. This fact makes it Very difficult to convert these types of movements. I've seen it done, but I'm not really sure how it was done.

I know that some American pocket watch cases have the sleeve mounted directly on the stem and not in the pendant like the majority of cases. Most of these were made around the 20' and 30's to satisfy the design style of the day where the pocket watch cases were very small and not much larger than the movement itself. The movements were not changed in any way, just the case/stem design. This CAN be used retrofitted to a wristwatch case, but the only adjustment would be to modify the length of the stem that enters the movement by filing it away. The movement is not modified in any way, as far as I know...

I've seen a 992 converted to a wristwatch form some of the chaps in the Ukraine....There's a lot of pocket watch conversions coming out of that part of the world. But, most are all Show and No Go! Very shoddy workmanship and parts thrown together! They look beautiful but I've heard horror stories once folks actually get their watches in hand.

Don  

• Like 1

I love this movements finish. Al at Archer Watches offers this one in his vintage flieger model as well as three other versions of the Hamilton movement. This is the one I will go for when ready to order. You can see why the pundits often call the Hamiltons of this era the American Patek!

• 6 months later...

What a gorgeous and unmolested movement!  It doesn't look like it's had a screwdriver on it since new. 

To not have a display back on this piece would be a real tragedy indeed.  As you say DJ, I can't imagine the cost of buying a new similar movement in today's market, it would be out of the reach of most people I'm sure.

I was a bit underwhelmed by this build to be honest! Such a beautiful movement that was ultimately paired with a fairly nondescript dial and case, as per the customers request. I don't think I even have pictures of the final assembled product. It's a shame really for such a beautiful movement. But, the customer was happy and that's more important to me at this stage.