New starter problems

SimonKB

Hi. Name is Simon and am just starting on my first level 2 course. As advised I am starting to dismantle a 6497. My first obstacle was the second hand which went flying and never to be seen again as most of you seem to have experienced and seems a rite of passage(it was very tight to the face and tight-any suggestions for next time?). Whilst stripping this down I thought that it would be fun to strip down an old pocket watch from Belfast in tandem and to see the similarities or not  in different movements. I am though thwarted at my first hurdle namely the hands. They are not a friction fit- they are held down with what looks like a square nut 2 sqx1.5h mm. Would this be a screw on nut or a sort of push fit capture head. If a screw on nut how do I unscrew as the hands are delicate and can only be held(if I had the right tool) by hand base-just visible under the nut.

Any help much apreciated.

Many thanks Simon

For normal hands, I just put the movement inside a transparent plastic ziploc bag, zip close, proceed removing hands with hand removing tool.

Hands will fall and remain inside the bag.

Hi would it be possible for you to post a picture of the watch with the hands held on by a "nut".  regarding the hands flying off take heed of Joes advice and do it in a plastic bag it not only protects the dial but limits the travel if they decide to make a break for it.       Cheers

There you go. As you can see have already bent minute hand due to being cackhanded so it needs to come off for further fettling! Looking closely at the top I cant see any thread start so am thinking its a push fit. Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

IMG_3934.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

Hi  That is a square shank for the hand set key to enable hand setting  It is actually the top of the canon pinion,  On these watches the winding key also sets the hands.  To remove the hands protect the dial with a plastic bag and use a pair of hand levers or a tool like the ones attached.  be careful of the dial its likley enamelled and will chip.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg