As 1916 Movement

Hello all. This is my first post. I got into watches last year. I have serviced several movements in the last few months. I learn something new with every one. I started with several ETA movements: 2801, 2824, 2836. Then I did several Tissot movements: 794 (3), and I just got a 796 that I haven't started on yet.

I am working on an AS 1916 that I got out of an old Carravelle. I am having trouble getting it to work. I cleaned and serviced it but the minute and hour hands won't move. I assume it is the large driving wheel or large offset wheel and pinion depending on who describes the part.

Any clues on how to proceed? Any chance of getting a new part?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Scottster, welcome to the forum.

If you have got the watch running and the seconds hand is moving, but the hour and minute hands are not then the first thing to check is the canon pinion. 

try pulling the crown out to the setting position and see how easy it is to set the hands. If they move too freely then this would also point to a loose canon pinion, in which case you should be able to tighten pinion (carefully, and in tiny steps until it's right as it's difficult to rectify if you go too far) and restore the proper drive to the hour and minute hands.

• Like 1

Hi Scottster, welcome to the forum.

If you have got the watch running and the seconds hand is moving, but the hour and minute hands are not then the first thing to check is the canon pinion. 

try pulling the crown out to the setting position and see how easy it is to set the hands. If they move too freely then this would also point to a loose canon pinion, in which case you should be able to tighten pinion (carefully, and in tiny steps until it's right as it's difficult to rectify if you go too far) and restore the proper drive to the hour and minute hands.

Hi Scottster and welcome to the forum :)

From the information you've given Marc is spot on.  Tightening the canon is easy to get wrong, so as he suggested do it gently and in steps for your first attempt.

Don't panic however that all is lost if you go too far with it ... spares for AS movements are still easy to get from Old Swiss Watches, and Sudarson will offer you the right part for the right price ... highly recommended.

Remember, we only learn by doing ... and some of the best lessons come from our mistakes.

• Like 2

ive got this problem on the as 1906, seems to be common with these, tighten the cannon pinion and all will be good.. if this is the case you can prob see that the hand moving is too loose..

• Like 1

Hi Scottster and welcome to the forum :)

From the information you've given Marc is spot on.  Tightening the canon is easy to get wrong, so as he suggested do it gently and in steps for your first attempt.

Don't panic however that all is lost if you go too far with it ... spares for AS movements are still easy to get from Old Swiss Watches, and Sudarson will offer you the right part for the right price ... highly recommended.

Remember, we only learn by doing ... and some of the best lessons come from our mistakes.

Great advice. I figure if there is a way to screw it up I will. I contacted Sundarson and he had all the parts I need. He also had the parts for an AS 1803 I am having the same problem with. I can't wait to get them so I can get the Caravelle running properly.

Thanks for the advice.