Original 2824 or 2824-1 assembly

Looks like you were right and it in fact goes in with the open end facing up! (Pic attached)

Now the next issue is that the minute bridge isn't applying enough pressure to the date setting wheel or date corrector. If I press down on the bridge everything works as it should but if I try to operate it on it's own, the date corrector moves out of position and doesn't engage.

9 minutes ago, Ageorge1988 said:

Looks like you were right and it in fact goes in with the open end facing up! (Pic attached)

Now the next issue is that the minute bridge isn't applying enough pressure to the date setting wheel or date corrector. If I press down on the bridge everything works as it should but if I try to operate it on it's own, the date corrector moves out of position and doesn't engage.

IMG_20201122_101735__01.jpg

Is the cover plate absolutely flat? It may require some "tweaking" to remain flat once the screws are in.

Always start all the plate screws, and tighten them evenly- criss-cross pattern (when there are more than two) to set the plate evenly. Tightening one screw at a time, can twist the plate, and can also make getting the other screws in more difficult.

You probably want a tiny bit of D5 (or similar) on that post before setting the arm and spring, if you didn't do that already.