Lighter Fluid

Hi Rogart, recently I started using Fast Panel Wipe as used in paint spray shops. Here is the brand that I am using, I purchase it from a local spray shop supply shop at a cost £15.00 for 5L. There are two types, a fast and a slow, it is the fast that you are looking for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-pol-System-20-Fast-Panel-Wipe-Degreaser-5L-UPOL-Panelwipe-/381087467644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58ba95487c

I ran a test with Ronson lighter fuel, Fast Panel Wipe and Bartoline Turpentine Substitute (white spirit). I placed one drop of each on a clean sheet of glass to see what residue is left after evaporation. I was astounded at the result, white spirit although slow to evaporate, left no visible residue at all. Lighter fuel and fast panel wipe took the same time to evaporate and left exactly the same faintest ring of residue.

My understanding is that "Zippo lighter fluid", "Ronsonol" etc. are pretty much the same as "naphtha", which in turn is a range of light petroleum distillates. No two brands are exactly the same, so before using it for cleaning you should do the glass test (put small amount on glass and let it evaporate) and check for residue.

(The Swedish equivalents are "Kemiskt ren bensin", "Heptan", "Rengöringsbensin" & "Industribensin". "Lacknafta" is pretty close, but is more fatty and evaporates slower.)

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1