Brass Tweezers

I know a lot of watchmakers like brass tweezers.

However it does seems that good quality brass tweezers are rather difficult to source.

When looking at the website of Dumont, I saw they actually make quite some tweezers in brass, I just didn't found them anywhere for sale.

I decided to contact Dumont directly and see what was possible.

I'm gonna save you all the unnecessary details but here's the bottom line.

I can purchase  a batch of 13 brass tweezers style 3. For info & details go to https://www.dumonttweezers.com/Tweezer/Standard/31and search for 0106-3-PO.

This batch will be ready for delivery by end af March. Price is CHF 25.10 /pce NET (without vat & shipping).

Ofcourse I can't use 13 tweezers, therefore I'd like to check whether there are other people here interested in such tweezers.

I never found these tweezers with any of the famous retailer (cousinsuk, boley, ...) so I think this is a nice opportunity.

Unfortunately I don't have a clear view on the final total price, but I don't expect it to be that high.

Anyone interested?

Cousins certainly sell individual brass tweezers of several makes and prices, and the Dumont pages I looked at had them available as singles.

Cousins has 2 indian brass tweezers & 1 from Bergeon.

I have 1 of the indian versions but I'm not that impressed with the quality.

Which Dumont page have you used as your reference?

I ended up declining the deal with Dumont & bought the bergeon one from cousins.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/brass-tweezers-bergeon-swiss

A very nice made pair of tweezers (by Dumont as well)

The thing I noticed immediately is that this one is much bigger then my other tweezers (1,2,3,5), so the grip in your hand in a bit different.

I'm sure this is just something to get used to.

The quality difference between the bergeon/dumont and the indian version is just gigantic. Money well spend :-)

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• visually how does the balance wheel look? oh and a note about the amplitude here in the timing machine. For instance the image I snipped out below notice the lines they look? In order for the timing machine to be believed you ideally need to lines they don't have to perfect lines but they should resemble two parallel lines not the snow globe affect as @Neverenoughwatches calls it or like this. Timing machines especially the Chinese one will try really really hard to give you an answer although in this chick a Figure out the rate of all that's why you get the little plus symbols it's out of range or cannot be read at all. But if you have that where we can't figure out what the graphical display is telling us that means the numbers are worthless. So you have to be careful on interpreting timing machines there are definitely some issues going on here. yes the standard operating question of background history. It's always nice to have a starting point did the watch run before it was serviced? then in this particular case it would be followed up with how was the watch serviced and in particular how was it lubricated? usually when you have identical problems you look for the common factor for both of them. So the common factor here would be the watchmaker that would be one thing, and that both watches have. This could imply some sort of procedural thing that you're doing it wrong. Or if you're new to watch repair something that you're not seeing especially related to the balance wheel is a lot of stuff like hairspring position that it's really hard to see. out this is a problem? So hairspring looks reasonably good at least you. I would be concerned about hairsprings that are not flat like isn't touching the balance arm for instance. If you look straight down you're not going to see that you have to look inside ways. Then you want to remove the hairspring to work on it to somehow magically improve it which brings up a couple of problems. We haven't establish that they hairspring is the problem and typically hairsprings out of the watch are just fine the problem is in the watch. It's always best to figure out what the problem is before fixing things.  
    • If it doesn't specify i imagine it will be a standard hole, if its olive then i suspect it will be labelled as such.  Did you say some envelopes have a ' B ' on them. Inspect the 2 types to see the difference 
    • Known as precise but not accurate , hitting the same mark each day just not the accuracy mark.
    • As repairers and enthusiasts, we always want to see the movement or we simply want to figure it out well in advance of the inevitable service that will happen sometime in the future! 😆 We often forget that Sellita's (and ETA's) movements are made in different grades. In an Invicta we can count on their simplest grade, and in Caliber 5 their finest, so your numbers have me a bit puzzled, within spec though. Most important is that it gains or loses roughly the same number of seconds per day. I always get a little concerned when I read comments that disdain and dismiss watches like Tag Heuer's Aquaracer with "the fact that it only has a simple movement from Sellita" when in fact it has a movement of fantastic quality. Well, I felt like a Master Watchmaker and owner of the world! Seriously! Then after six months or so I slowly started to realize I had only scratched the surface. After another six months, I knew for sure I had only scratched the surface. Nevertheless, working on watches is a wonderful way to waste your time! 😉
    • I actually like the look of that one and others I saw on ebay after you mentioned it more than the Russian ones. As mentioned I don't like the Miyota movements (my Japanese wife does insist that they have to be infinitely better than the Chinese ones even the Swiss clones which makes no sense as it is the Miyota design with a single bridge for everything which I disliked) Note I haven't started doing anything with the NH35 as I intend to use it in a watch and I am afraid of breaking it