Hard To Find Watch Parts...any Idea's?

DJW

Recently, I started building wristwatches while utilizing vintage Hamilton 10s movements. While these movements are readily availible, their service parts are not, spacifically the balance staffs. While I can find staffs for other vintage american pocket watch movements for literally $5-$10 each, these staffs are becoming extremely rare! The latest source is actually in the UK, but are up to $38us each.

Being that I am locted in the US, is there any other supply houses in the UK, or the rest of Europe that I should check out?

BTW, I just finisfed turning my first ever "Usable" Hamilton staff, but it took me nearly 8 hours to complete! I will continue to search for these until which time I can make them myself on a consistant basis.

Thanks!

Don

Don, for hard to find parts it may be an idea to contact Northern Watch & Clock supplies.

I have created a new section for watch material and parts suppliers here: http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/7-watch-material-suppliers/

With balance staffs, the more you practice the faster you will get. If you have the time, just keep at it.

Don, for hard to find parts it may be an idea to contact Northern Watch & Clock supplies.

I have created a new section for watch material and parts suppliers here: http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/7-watch-material-suppliers/

With balance staffs, the more you practice the faster you will get. If you have the time, just keep at it.

That's what I keep telling myself! "Just keep practicing and you'll get better!"

Also, thanks for the link!

I forgot that I had recently contacted an outfit in the Netherlands called Balancestaffs.com (gee, I wonder what they sell? :huh:) regarding my need for Staffs for the Hamilton's that I mostly work with. I heard back from them and was told they have 5 in stock and that for every 2 that I purchase I would get the third one free! At 19 Euros each that's a big savings! I bought all five and with shipping "only" cost me 82 Euros. I only wish they had 6 in stock because that one would have been free as well!

That's still relatively expensive compared to other staffs, but nearly half of what my other quote was...

I'm happy again!

And, I actually turned 2 staffs today that are now installed into 2 Hamilton 917's and are running well! They look kinda ugly, but I focused most of my attention on finishing the pivots to the highest possible degree...

It's funny, once you overcome an obstacle you look forward to completing the task again! 

Don

• Like 1

Hi Don. It's a good feeling isn't it. If you can, why not post some pics of your lathe and the method you use. Personally I don't use a vernier or bench micrometer. I rather do it all by sight and feel which is how I was taught.

Hi Don. It's a good feeling isn't it. If you can, why not post some pics of your lathe and the method you use. Personally I don't use a vernier or bench micrometer. I rather do it all by sight and feel which is how I was taught.

I'm sure once I get more accustom to turning I'll do away with my micrometer as well. I'd rather have the balance wheel and the roller table close by and use those as the gauge since they are the parts that are actually going to be married to the staff.

My process is to turn as much of the staff on the lathe at one time without repositioning the staff, or movement it in any way in the collet. I've found out that once you start fiddling around with the staff that you'll never get it back to center! I'll have to make a go at it using centers at some point. Once the staff is close to finish proportions, I'll part it off and then grind and polish the pivots using the lathe and some extra fine stones.

I bought two jacot tools on eBay and both are "Junk!" The pivot bed sizes that I need to use are totally useless from abuse with the finishing files. This is why I finish the pivots by hand with stones. I would love to buy a new Jacot tool but at $3000 for a Steiner or $5000 for a Bergeon is WAY too much for me right now.

Here are a few pics of my little setup...

This is my Levin Lathe. It works excellent and runs smooth! The motor, on the other hand is past it! I need a new one when this one goes! The white switch next to the lathe is a lamp dimmer. I use this to regulate the speed of my lathe motor...it works excellent!

post-90-0-84089600-1392387628_thumb.jpg

These are most of my lathe attachments and accessories...

post-90-0-57397800-1392387630_thumb.jpg

Here are some of my other tools. My little ultrasonic cleaner (I just bought a Vintage L&R Varimatic Ultrasonic Cleaner, but It's in the basement next to the washing machine , since they both are about the same size! :phew:

Also, I have a Foot soldering machine, Watch Timing machine, Demagnetizer, etc.

post-90-0-70056300-1392387631_thumb.jpg

This is my Tiny Bench! I bought this when living in a small condo in Seattle where I had no room! Now, I'm looking a something more adult sized! My K&D inverto staking set is next to my bench as well.

post-90-0-66593000-1392387633_thumb.jpg

I've discovered a great friend to the hobbyist watchmaker, IKEA! They have pretty neat stuff at a reasonable price! I love this cabinet and will be getting 1 or 2 more, $100us Brilliant! 

post-90-0-06921600-1392387635_thumb.jpg

Don

Indeed, using the roller and hairspring collet as well as the top and bottom pivot holes and the old staff are the way to go. I tend to cut the pivots to be one size up (using a Seitz jewel hole gauge - if you have not got one of these then search eBay and buy one if you can, worth their weight in gold) and then I use a Jacot tool and polish down to the correct size, leaving the pivots to be too long.

Then I gradually reduce the pivot lengths in the lantern of the Jacot.

Thanks for sharing the pics - I love seeing other folks set ups. Those k&d invertos are great sets.

The foot soldering machine is interesting - I have not seen one of those. Are they good for thin, modern dials or is it more useful for enamel dials?

I tend to cut the pivots to be one size up (using a Seitz jewel hole gauge - if you have not got one of these then search eBay and buy one if you can, worth their weight in gold) and then I use a Jacot tool and polish down to the correct size, leaving the pivots to be too long.

The foot soldering machine is interesting - I have not seen one of those. Are they good for thin, modern dials or is it more useful for enamel dials?

I also use the Seitz jewel hole gauge. Wouldn't know what to do without it!

The Dial foot soldering machine is actually from the UK. As long as I use the proper solder, I have no problem soldering dial feet in the position that I need to fit whatever movement. I have had only one dial damaged by the machine. It was a thin brass dial with a Radiant Finish. After soldering the new dial foot, I noticed the finish on the dial side had been cooked off. I would never use this thing for repairing customers dials, only for watches that I build from scratch.

Regarding the Jacot tools - I recommend you search on eBay Germany. There are some cracking deals to be had.

I'll give it a look, Thanks!

I'm sure once I get more accustom to turning I'll do away with my micrometer as well. I'd rather have the balance wheel and the roller table close by and use those as the gauge since they are the parts that are actually going to be married to the staff.

My process is to turn as much of the staff on the lathe at one time without repositioning the staff, or movement it in any way in the collet. I've found out that once you start fiddling around with the staff that you'll never get it back to center! I'll have to make a go at it using centers at some point. Once the staff is close to finish proportions, I'll part it off and then grind and polish the pivots using the lathe and some extra fine stones.

I bought two jacot tools on eBay and both are "Junk!" The pivot bed sizes that I need to use are totally useless from abuse with the finishing files. This is why I finish the pivots by hand with stones. I would love to buy a new Jacot tool but at $3000 for a Steiner or $5000 for a Bergeon is WAY too much for me right now.

Here are a few pics of my little setup...

This is my Levin Lathe. It works excellent and runs smooth! The motor, on the other hand is past it! I need a new one when this one goes! The white switch next to the lathe is a lamp dimmer. I use this to regulate the speed of my lathe motor...it works excellent!

attachicon.gifIMG_20140214_084714.jpg

These are most of my lathe attachments and accessories...

attachicon.gifIMG_20140214_084917.jpg

Here are some of my other tools. My little ultrasonic cleaner (I just bought a Vintage L&R Varimatic Ultrasonic Cleaner, but It's in the basement next to the washing machine , since they both are about the same size! :phew:

Also, I have a Foot soldering machine, Watch Timing machine, Demagnetizer, etc.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140214_085036.jpg

This is my Tiny Bench! I bought this when living in a small condo in Seattle where I had no room! Now, I'm looking a something more adult sized! My K&D inverto staking set is next to my bench as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140214_085126.jpg

I've discovered a great friend to the hobbyist watchmaker, IKEA! They have pretty neat stuff at a reasonable price! I love this cabinet and will be getting 1 or 2 more, $100us Brilliant! 

attachicon.gifIMG_20140214_085203.jpg

Don

Yes indeed!  I bought the black one from Ikea.  It is an excellent piece for my tools and supplies.

Roger

Yes indeed!  I bought the black one from Ikea.  It is an excellent piece for my tools and supplies.

Roger

Have you seen the tall and narrow cabinets in the same style? I'll probably get one of these as well!

BTW, thanks for commenting!

Don

I originally went to Ikea to get the Helmer - a narrower metal drawer unit, but when I saw the unit I bought (called Alex) it was obvious it was a better choice.  I lined the top and drawers with ribbed rubber to keep everything in place.  I have my laptop on top of it so as I take pictures during disassembly, I can upload them as well as look-up parts, tools etc.  I keep it right next to my watch repair bench.  It's a really nice, functional set up that didn't cost very much.

Cheers!

Roger

Yeah, I need to buy something to line the drawer bottoms. Every time I open a drawer nothing is in the place where I originally put it! :(

I bought ribbed, black rubber carpet runner (not the less expensive vinyl product). The rubber cuts beautifully, lies perfectly flat and with the ribs, coupled with the grip of the rubber, things stay in place.

Regarding the Jacot tools - I recommend you search on eBay Germany. There are some cracking deals to be had.

They really do have some nice stuff, but apparently no one will ship to the US!  :thumbsd:

I bought ribbed, black rubber carpet runner (not the less expensive vinyl product). The rubber cuts beautifully, lies perfectly flat and with the ribs, coupled with the grip of the rubber, things stay in place.

I saw that IKEA had some drawer organizers for these units for $7.50 I believe. I may go back and get a few of those for my small stuff.

And, believe me I did lift up our hallway carpet and look and the non-slip pad a thought about it just for a minute! :)

Man! That's nice and clean! I'll head down to the old hardware store tomorrow to see what they have! Thank will help too as I live in a very old row house here in Alexandria and the floor in my workroom literally slopes 3 inches in about 8 feet! Even with my table legs adjusted as far as they will go, I have tools and parts go "Rollin" across the surfaces!

Awesome setup!

Don

I just won this item! I'm over the moon at the price I got it for! The exact same set recently sold on ebay.uk for 3X what this one sold for because it was available to All ebayers worldwide. This set was only visible of ebay Germany. I contacted the seller, who is actually is Switzerland and asked if he would be willing to ship to the US, he agreed! I almost feel bad for getting it so cheap! This set sells for $3k from the company who purchased Steiner (I believe).

From the pictures it looks in fantastic condition, fingers crossed!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291078134412&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:DE:1123

Edited by DJW