Longines Cal. 505 quickset on a case (8294) that does not support it?

patchwerk

I am working on a Longines 505 movement (which is the quickset date version of the 501) from a 8294-2 case. I noted that the quickset function did not seem to work due to the stem and case/crown interface preventing it. I figured maybe someone in the past fit it with a 501 stem on accident. However when I took a closer look at the technical manual vintagelongines.com it says under the Cal 505 section that for certain case number (including my 8294-2) that a regular non quickset 501 stem should be used. Does this mean that Longines used quickset movements on cases that did not support it? I have never heard of this before. Am I misunderstanding something?

image.thumb.png.7cb9c8ed1ef12bd6d4d023751a4e9e6a.png

unless you're lucky enough to find somebody that's worked on one I don't think you enough information. The link below just because I like to see a picture of what somebody's working on. Then I snipped out the sections of the 505 and 501 tech sheet and they look like stems. The only difference in the picture is one is for a split stem case and the others for standard case. On the link below there is a reference to using a different stem for cases that do not support having the recess.

3 hours ago, patchwerk said:

Does this mean that Longines used quickset movements on cases that did not support it? I have never heard of this before. Am I misunderstanding something?

if the movement is out of the case is the quickset functioning working? The obvious is somehow there's a difference in the stems. If the watches in a case it doesn't have the recess then your crown probably is out a little bit further than normal. In other words you still have to have space to build push the crown in. Looking at the watches on eBay it looks like a lot of the crowns are sticking out. So somebody didn't understand this and fit the crown the way you normally would. Isn't enough space to push the stem with crown in. She is needed new stem and just make it a little bit longer if I'm interpreting this stuff correctly.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Longines_505

l501 stem.JPG

l505 stem.JPG

• Like 1

I also sent an email to peter of vintagelongines.com and it seems my hunch may have been right. His response: 

"Your conclusions are all true. I have a ref 8066  watch that also has
cal. 505 movement with cal. 501 stem.  If you replace the stem by a cal
505 stem, the quick-set date function will work but there will be a gap
between the case and the crown and the watch will look as if the crown
is pulled out.
I was thinking about this issue when I met this problem first. I guess
that Longines stopped producing cal 501 after cal 505 was introduced.
However, it still received orders for former models that were originally
assembled with cal 501. So it simply put a cal. 505 movement in these
watches. "