Seiko 7F28

bobm12

Hi all,

I've come across a Seiko 7F28 in need of a new movement. It is a sample watch with everything but the movement. I can't find that movement and it would be great to have it working. Any ideas where I could get this movement? Maybe an equivalent from Seiko/Hattori?

Here is the pic:

post-253-0-81984400-1424113545_thumb.jpg

Thank you in advance for your advise/help.

Cheers,

Bob

Honestly, J, all I know about them is what I've heard/read. There is this book I can't remember exactly the name (Beginning watchmaking?) that mentions them as a source for cases, etc. They have a dummy movement (apparently) and everything else is attached to it, just like a regular watch. They are used as "demos" by sales people I think. Before I spend the money, I'd like to know if I can get the movement they require or an equivalent, preferably by the same manufacturer so the watch is as "original" as possible.

Edited by bobm12

I once had someone give me a number of the Seiko sample watches. The watches themselves look exactly like real watches other than the hands do not move and of course the crown does nothing unless you try to pull it out in which case it falls out. So to give you an idea three watches two of them are identical so you can see the front to the back at the same time. There is no dummy movement only a piece of foam rubber and lots of tape to hold everything together. The other thing of interest is the calendar parts one has just pieces the other is complete.

post-673-0-71962300-1424158576_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-34769800-1424158577.jpg

Excellent information John. That answers many questions I had about those watches. So, it looks like, provided I find the correct movement, I can make a watch out of those. I mean, they already have the dial, the hands and the case is good.

Now I need to find the proper movement to fit the 7F38!

Thank you for the info!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I made a typo and it came with the wrong movement number on this post! Twice!