Help identifying a part on an Elgin 6s Grade 206 pocketwatch

Hello, I'm practicing disassembly/assembly with this scrap Elgin Grade 206 movement from 1898.

Since disassembling and assembling the movement a few times, there is one piece I can not identify. I've been searching for parts lists of Elgin, even looking at parts dictionary in bestfit and can't seem to find an example of it. Please see first image below.

Anyone know what this is? Please note I am missing a couple parts from the setting mechanism apparently. When fully assembled I can wind the watch with a screw driver, but only if I manually push the rocker arm to engage the ratchet wheel.

IMG_20200711_145052__01.jpg

IMG_20200710_095426__01.jpg

IMG_20200710_080046.jpg

I'm a newbie here too, so I'm following this post because I also have an Elgin pocket watch. A model #1 class 52 size 16.  I feel like I should know what that is, though.  I'm pretty sure it belongs in the setting linkage, maybe as an axis for the yoke?  Is it flat on the bottom and solid, or does it have a threaded hole at the other end?

3 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I'm a newbie here too, so I'm following this post because I also have an Elgin pocket watch. A model #1 class 52 size 16.  I feel like I should know what that is, though.  I'm pretty sure it belongs in the setting linkage, maybe as an axis for the yoke?  Is it flat on the bottom and solid, or does it have a threaded hole at the other end?

Nothing threaded and nothing flat on it. I think so too, but believe I'm missing some parts from the setting assembly.

Does yours have the rocker arm type setting? See it in the picture dial side with the 3 gears on one piece with large screw in the middle. If yours does it would be awesome to see a picture of your setting and winding parts.

Well, mine is a stem wind/lever set.  The layout is a tiny pit different as are the parts. Yours looks like it may be a stem wind/stem set.  But I'm curious now, so I plan to do some digging. And in that time a more knowledgeable member may chime in an enlighten us both.

if you're going to work on American pocket watches  the link I have will be helpful..  It is all sorts of other technical information on the site if you care to explore i including parts manuals etc. Then you want to be careful when you're assuming that the movement you have is scrap  worthless because some of the older watches that don't look very impressive may not be worthless true that's only .001% of the time but you never know..  Always nice to check before you start playing with something.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/8101855

you'll notice while you're on the website looking at your watch they also have parts listings. I'm attaching an image of your part.

then a note regarding pictures always nice before disassembling anything you've never seen before photograph it  especially important with American pocket watches because there is an incredible quantity of variations of mechanisms  it saves a lot of time and effort if you take a picture

and it would be helpful if you would give us a picture of the watch minus the bridge  covering up the winding/setting parts.

pins Elgin.JPG

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

if you're going to work on American pocket watches  the link I have will be helpful..  It is all sorts of other technical information on the site if you care to explore i including parts manuals etc. Then you want to be careful when you're assuming that the movement you have is scrap  worthless because some of the older watches that don't look very impressive may not be worthless true that's only .001% of the time but you never know..  Always nice to check before you start playing with something.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/8101855

Thanks for sharing that, that site is awesome! I originally looked here when I got the movement

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=8101855&action=search

I was pretty confident in taking it apart as that site indicated there were 270,000 of that model made and I bought it for ~$20 shipped. I have seen a bunch of them for sale on eBay, but one thing I noticed is mine doesn't have a small seconds or center seconds hand, so it seems to be a bit different from the other Grade 206 I see.

32 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

then a note regarding pictures always nice before disassembling anything you've never seen before photograph it  especially important with American pocket watches because there is an incredible quantity of variations of mechanisms  it saves a lot of time and effort if you take a picture

and it would be helpful if you would give us a picture of the watch minus the bridge  covering up the winding/setting parts.

This is something I now practice, but when I first got this I just took an initial photo and went to town. Definitely was a learning experience. Fortunately I have a couple more similar models coming in the mail, I got a lot of 3 similar non-working Elgin movements for $25. Maybe I will be able to come up with one working one out of the 4, especially using the pocketwatchdatabase website to verify compatibility of parts.

if you would like I can get you a photograph and show you where the missing part goes.. but this means I have to take apart one of my scrap Elgin watches missing the hands  missing a center jewel  and the screw  but according to the database the only made 2400 of them. wwhich is one of the reasons I pointed out you cannot assume just because it looks like a crappy watch that it actually is crappy watch that they made trillions of.. But if you need the PIC shall taken apart according to the parts list I have the same pin  and I could tell you where it goes without the picture but I think it be easier if I showed you picture  if you need that?

12 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

if you would like I can get you a photograph and show you where the missing part goes.. but this means I have to take apart one of my scrap Elgin watches missing the hands  missing a center jewel  and the screw  but according to the database the only made 2400 of them. wwhich is one of the reasons I pointed out you cannot assume just because it looks like a crappy watch that it actually is crappy watch that they made trillions of.. But if you need the PIC shall taken apart according to the parts list I have the same pin  and I could tell you where it goes without the picture but I think it be easier if I showed you picture  if you need that?

Here I just got a couple pics that might help. One is without the pin and one I put the pin where I thought it "might" go. Still not sure what is missing from setting parts

Actually I didn't think it looks crappy :) very well decorated movement that looks quite nice 

We can try to do it by your instruction maybe I'll be able to get it that way, I don't want to put you out.

IMG_20200711_174442__01.jpg

IMG_20200711_174159__01.jpg

Edited by pubudeux
  • Like 1