Cleaning Inside Of Mineral Glass

ro63rto

I noticed a sort of fogging on the inside while playing with my LED torch, charging up the lume on 3 of my watches, Sector 155, Breil Ducati One and Seiko Arctura.

I have 100% Acetone, Switch cleaner and plasma tv cleaning fluid.

Are any of these ok to use on a q-tip?

If not, anything else I should get?

I would try using a weak solution of washing up liquid with your q-tip first. It should remove it and there is no chance of melting something in the process. I certainly wouldn't use acetone ar switch cleaner, the plasma tv cleaner would probably be OK.

Hi ro63rto,

Whenever using a q-tip be careful with the lint it leaves behind. I clean my crystals with Windex but never "spray" directly. The lint free paper and the blower -- even sometimes a dial brush to pick up the lint -- assure a lint free result. Also mind humidity and rubbing if there is a chapter ring held in place between the crystal and the case. Sometimes it can get cracked, discolored and otherwise damaged. The humidity left behind by the cleaner may fog the watch after closing it. Also if there is any spot where the q-tip catches on parts, it could dislodge them and/or damage them...this is mostly seen when used in dials which is not your case....but I like to be thorough. :)

During cleaning I tilt the crystal to different positions, observing it through the light. Mind that some Seiko crystals have a coating on the inside that should not be touched according to them, only the outside.

Cheers,

Bob

i may be missing something but fogging on the inside of the case would indicate that the watch is not sealed? - like i said, sorry if ive completely missed the original question.

You are right in asking but this fogging is unlike anything I've seen. Normally on a non sealed watch I start to see a circular foggy patch in the middle of the crystal.

These look like someone has wiped the entire underside of the crystal with a sweaty finger.

....it could be a lot of humidity or water might have actually gotten in (hot showers are the worst, etc)...is it actually wet?

There is the dust and the fogging due to age, expired seals, etc. So far, the recipe given was to clean the crystal...

For humidity you still need to clean the crystal but a good service and detection/fix of the unsealed spots is necessary...normally replacing o-rings, gaskets, silicon grease, etc will fix the problem...at least that's what I do. Pitted and rusted joints may require more work or impossible to seal completely...

Opinions/how-to's are appreciated to help improve!

I can safely say I have never worn any of my watches even while washing my hands let alone in the shower or while swimming.

I did notice that the Breil has what looks like ice crystals. Have to use a louoe to see it.

I will check closely for moisture signs when I open them up and remove the movements though.

Fogging on the inside of the lens is no good . Could be a bad gasket or you have pressed a button on the watch when it was wet . 

When i assemble  a watch the last thing do is use a camera lens cleaner . I buy them on Ebay . You could buy them on Cousinsuk . They are much cheaper to buy a dozen from China . It has a little sticky round cleaning tip in one end and a brush in the other . http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Kit-Lens-Cleaner-Pen-Dust-Cleaner-For-DSLR-VCR-DC-Camera-Nikon-tool-FO-/291317706237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d3e36dfd

Fogging on the inside of the lens is no good . Could be a bad gasket or you have pressed a button on the watch when it was wet .

When i assemble a watch the last thing do is use a camera lens cleaner . I buy them on Ebay . You could buy them on Cousinsuk . They are much cheaper to buy a dozen from China . It has a little sticky round cleaning tip in one end and a brush in the other . http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Kit-Lens-Cleaner-Pen-Dust-Cleaner-For-DSLR-VCR-DC-Camera-Nikon-tool-FO-/291317706237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d3e36dfd

That looks quite useful.

I have the usual blow brush in my camera kit but it doesnt have that other bit.

Thanks.

That looks quite useful.

I have the usual blow brush in my camera kit but it doesnt have that other bit.

Thanks.

Inexpensive but do the job nice . Hold up for a lot of watches and it has two sticky sides in one end of the pen . Remember to throw it in the plastic recycling basket after it has been used up .