Balance roller loose

Hello

I have just finished replacing the balance staff of an old AM192 movement. However, I have realised that the hole in the roller is slightly to large for the staff. I ordered the staff from Cousins and it fits perfectly into the watch but it seems to be slightly to small for the roller. I am wondering if I damaged the roller when removing it.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this or will I have to spend the next month trying to make a new balance staff on the lathe that does fit?

Hello
I have just finished replacing the balance staff of an old AM192 movement. However, I have realised that the hole in the roller is slightly to large for the staff. I ordered the staff from Cousins and it fits perfectly into the watch but it seems to be slightly to small for the roller. I am wondering if I damaged the roller when removing it.
Is there anything I can do to rectify this or will I have to spend the next month trying to make a new balance staff on the lathe that does fit?

I have had this situation when I cut too much material off my balance staff on the lathe. You can close the hole by light tapping on a round stake in your staking set. Choose a stake with diameter slightly larger than the hole but not too large. Pick a flat area of your staking set table area so your not over a hole. Tap a few times but not too hard or you could split the roller table. Kind of like this video I made where I am closing a Hairspring collet, but this time you are tapping on the hole area with a round tipped stake that will spread the metal and thereby close the hole diameter. You may need to remove the jewel if it interferes with the stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 2