Case O-Ring Cleaning and Battery Replacement

JJx

Hi there,

1st time replacing the battery on my oldest watch (Seiko World Timer Age of Discovery - 5T52). Here is a picture of one (not mine).

Pinterest Seiko World Timer Age of Discovery

I'm seeking advice on a couple of things:

1. The case back o-ring/gasket is dirty, so I've removed it and cleaned the case back with a soft tooth-brush. How should I clean the o-ring?

2. On the inside of the case cover, there is a sticker which says "After Installing a new battery, short AC and + of the battery".  How do I do this?

Here is a picture of the sticker...

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

JJ

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Wash gasket as well case and bracelets with soapy water.

Reset with tweezers tips touching the points indicated by the label.

Thanks jdm! So, once I install the battery, use my tweezer tips to touch the + (top) of the battery, but what is the AC and/or where is that located?

33 minutes ago, JJx said:

"After Installing a new battery, short AC and + of the battery".  How do I do this?

Check out the Seiko service document.

https://juwelier.seiko.nl/download/techguides/02037t36_reset.pdf

image.thumb.png.ca60a81f256e7c6d362af684ea77c3fa.png

Generally you only need to short the two points for a second or so.

Also once you have cleaned the case and the 'o' ring, make sure they absolutely clean and are completely dry before re-assembling. You can apply a very small wipe of silicon grease to the 'o' ring to help it seal.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Check out the Seiko service document.

https://juwelier.seiko.nl/download/techguides/02037t36_reset.pdf

image.thumb.png.ca60a81f256e7c6d362af684ea77c3fa.png

Generally you only need to short the two points for a second or so.

Also once you have cleaned the case and the 'o' ring, make sure they absolutely clean and are completely dry before re-assembling. You can apply a very small wipe of silicon grease to the 'o' ring to help it seal.

Thank you AndyHull!