Function???

Buffo

G'Day,

I've got two Elgin 16s 292 movements that I am hoping to make one operational watch out of.

I recently manage to get my Hamilton 1906 16s 990 up and running again (broken balance staff and mainspring). I thought after managing this repair (my first attempt at watch repair) that I would have a go at another pocket watch. Two relatively inexpensive Elgin 292 movements seemed like a good place for a rank amateur to start. I'm initiating the repair process by going through the two movements, and checking out which parts will be best for building one, good working watch.

A question on the Elgin 292 movement: In the photo I've attached, what is the exact function of the cam/lever marked with a white X? Should this be spring loaded? Should the case used with this particular pendant set movement have an access point for this cam/lever? My Hamilton 990 had a lever that was used to set the hands, but this cam/lever doesn't seem to serve quite the same function.

Buffo

FNQ,Au

292.jpg

G'Day Vin,

Thanks for the reply.

It now makes sense why it isn't spring loaded and why the cam/lever is locked in position when the movement is installed in the case. On my Hamilton 990 it was necessary to take the load off the movement, push the click up and then physically hold the click up from the gear with a tooth pick while carefully letting the spring down. So this, on the Elgin 292, does the same job as my trusty tooth pick.

Thanks again,

Rob

My Hamilton 16s 990 back in action...

G'Day Sas,

Thanks for the added bit of info.

Seems like an excellent design feature, especially when one considers the shape of the Elgin click and how difficult it would be to release the mainspring at the click. The circular Elgin click also would appear to be a sturdier design then on my old Hamilton 990.

Rob

EClick.jpg

HamClick.jpg

Hmmmmmmm... I took apart one of the 292 movements last night, but I had to release the mainspring tension by the usual method of relieving the pressure on the gear with the pendant crown,  holding the click out of engagement and slowly releasing the spring pressure. What's the procedure with the Elgin feature we've discussed above? There doesn't seem to be any pressure on the device when the mainspring is wound. Is there a fault in the mechanism? There is plenty of references to the early Elgin 18s movements, but not much on the Elgin 16s with this feature.

Buffo "perplexed"