Hello from the USA

bklake

Hello, I just joined after years of lurking.  I have been a watch enthusiast since childhood.  As a child, if I got separated from my Mom in a store, she would go to the watch counter because I was usually there.  After years of being disappointed by a Timex that failed after a year or a digital that failed in weeks, I bought a Seiko.  A 6309-7049 because, at 16, I could not afford the fancy 7548 like my big brother had.  It took my entire first paycheck from my summer job to buy the watch.  I still have that watch and wear it on special occasions.  We have been through a lot together.  

When my brother got the 7548, he gave me his old Seiko.  I believe it was a 6106 Sport Diver.  It was full of moisture and would not run.  I "fixed" it by opening the back with needle nose pliers and spraying WD-40 in it.  We can all guess with certainty how that worked out.  I'm on the hunt for a 6106 in the same condition as I started with on that one.  My timing is bad because the Seiko market rocketed up dramatically at about the same time I finally figured out what model that watch was.  One day...

Now I'm middle aged and a little smarter about things.  For the last 10 years, I have slowly dipped my feet in the watchmaking arena.  I have serviced a few Seiko movements with success.  Along the way, I have purchased some tools I have no business trying to use but the deal was right and the skills will come.  I don't have much expertise to contribute other than what Not to do! 

I am most impressed by this site.  The desire to repair anything that ticks regardless of pedigree is refreshing.