Help With Loose Movement

hEsCMAa.jpg

I picked up a nice vintage Longines off the internet (stole the strap for my other Longines) and while its a great watch and keeps wonderful time, there is an issue. When I wind the watch the entire movement kind of wobbles around as if it's not secure to the case. I'm not a watch maker, which is my first problem, but I like to tinker. I removed the case back and noticed that there are screws securing the movement to the movement ring, but no screws securing the ring to the case. However there are four tabs that are on the movement ring and what I assumed was that when you screw the case back down, the inside of the case back will apply pressure to those tabs and keep the movement snug.

iMDK5nR.jpg

However they aren't doing there job. I figured that over time (this is from the 1940s I think) the tabs have bent down ??? So I got the bright idea to try to take one of the tabs and gentle pry it up so it sat slightly higher and would make contact with the case back. Huge mistake as the tab just broke off. The other three are still in place.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? The watch runs fine other wise.

Thanks!

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Very nice watch, a real beauty, am not sure but it could be missing a rubber gasket/seal that would fit between the inner case edge and the movement ring, that would secure it but as I say am not sure as it is a Longines so I would have thought the movement would have been secured better..

Sorry I could not help much more, hopefully one of the other guys will be able to help

Best wishes

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are right in the sense that the 4 prongs apply pressure, holding the movement/dial against the crystal or case. This only takes care of one plane, in-out.

Sideways movement is usually achieved by having a tight fit between case/movement ring/movement. In you case you need to observe and see where the fit is loose. Is it between the ring and case or between ring and movement?

If the case is loose between the ring and movement you can either press a few dents in the movement ring (from outside inwards) to remove the play or you can shim the movement in place using a bit of old mainspring.

If the play is between the ring and case then there not much you can do.. try looking for an o-ring that will fit in the space between the movement ring and case, the o-ring doesn't have to be whole... 3-4 short bits spaced equally around the case will do.

Looking at your pictures, I think you're missing the inner bezel.. this would play a part in the dial/case interface. Is the inner caseback marked?

Note that if the movement is loose in the case there is possibility of the dial getting damaged. You dial looks good, maybe not original but probably an older redial.

HTH

Anil

"Help With Loose Movement"

Hi if the same in a couple of days, consult your GP. :)

:D   Sound bit of advice! I wouldn't expect less from this fine forum.

But I have a gut feeling that nebulight is asking about different KIND of movement!

Sorry, couldn't help it.